1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

** Free cinema screening **

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Gow_Returns, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Gow_Returns

Gow_Returns New commenter

Hi,

We are the process of organising a free movie screening for a group of up to c.50 students (to the extent that there is considerable interest and uptake, possibly increasing to c.100 students).

The movie is called Hidden Figures: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846340/ Without paraphrasing the plot, at the core of the story is an inspirational message for many a young student in our society. Especially, our female students between the ages of 12 - 18 years old (the movie is PG-rated) and there will be up to 5 adults present to chaperone.

What is the catch? There is none. It's just a really good message and it will be a shame if the very people it could inspire the most are unable to see it for a multitude of reasons.

The proposed venue is London, and it is being hosted by London's leading cinema chain at one of their marquee venues (Finchley Road or Stratford).

Why are we reaching out? We need your help. As the people closet to these students in a professional capacity, it would be most useful if you can advise whether a) this is something you envision there will be uptake for (similar have been organised in the US and it went well); b) what is the best way to identity and select interested students; c) and probably most importantly, what are the legal/procedural steps, if any, involved in reaching out to students.

Thanks a lot for your help. And happy to provide additional information as required.

Regards,
    GoW_Returns

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That looks like an interesting film, are you showing it in terms of awareness in the Citizenship programme?

When you say "we" who are "we"?

Are you thinking of showing films related directly to the curriculum e.g. films like The Woman in Black for GCSE English Literature and Made in Dagenham for Business? I guess I am asking how you will decide which films are appropriate.

3. Gow_Returns

Gow_Returns New commenter

Thanks for your response. To clarify your points:

In response to 1 and 3, I can confirm that this is not part of any curriculum or programme. It really is just a free cinema ticket to see a movie which could hopefully inspire today's young women.

The tickets are paid and what we are ultimately trying to suss out is whether schools in general have a ledger of students that they can nominate to receive such a free screening, in a way as reward for their continued diligence in the classroom. The alternative is to randomly handout tickets in the cinema lobby/on the streets, and ultimately that might come to, but first wanted to understand whether there was a way of rewarding the tickets to honours/most hardworking students first.

With respect to 'we' / the organisers: I wlll be self funding the tickets being a major cinema buff myself, but then given the size of the group and demographic, will be assisted by office colleagues and friends (we are a mix of bankers and engineers). We are also working to have a professional teacher join the organising group.

Hope that clarifies. Any further input would be much appreciated.

Thanks