1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Free accommodation a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by rustycat2000, Nov 12, 2017.

1. rustycat2000

rustycat2000 New commenter

At my school there have been rumours flying around for the past year that the government is changing the rules on employers giving out free accommodation for people who don't strictly need it for their job. Apparently they'll be forced to charge staff the market rate. My school isn't saying anything though and I can't find anything on the internet. Does anyone know anything about this?

2. Hil2009

Hil2009 New commenter

This is true-you will only get free accommodation if there is a proved need i.e. you have to be there for boarding, you are the bursar or head and you need to be on hand as you are responsible etc. Otherwise you have to pay rent but I think the school can set the rate and it needn't be the market rate.

willcott likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The relevant jargon is "for the better performance of your duties." If someone is a teacher who finishes at the end of the teaching day, it would be difficult to claim that they need to live on site. However if they are involved in some boarding duties, the claim could be made.

4. dts

dts Occasional commenter

My understanding is that if being resident on site is a perk, rather than a necessary part of the job, then you need to be either paying rent, or paying additional tax on the "benefit in kind" you are receiving. This might mean that if your accommodation is deemed to be worth, say, £6000 per year, you would pay income tax, etc. as if your salary was £6k higher than you are actually paid.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No, free accommodation is not a thing of the past if you teach in an international school, as I do. My school provides an accommodation allowance and it is more than enough to pay for a two-bedroomed apartment in the centre of the city of Shenzhen, right next to a metro station and a huge park. In most independent schools, free accommodation usually means boarding duties, but I do not have any boarding duties at all. You can read more about what it is like to teach in China by going to my blog, www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com