1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Freaking out over a typo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by year1109, Jun 25, 2020.

1. year1109

year1109 New commenter

I have applied for a teaching position. After proof reading 100 times and submitting my application, I notice the dates of employment for my first teaching position (I've completed 1/3 of my induction year and held one teaching position, I have worked as a TA and supply teaching since) are typed as 1/9/16-31/12/17 when it should read 31/12/16. I am freaking out that I've provided false information and I won't be considered for the post because of the typographical error. The TA job I listed above it now makes it appear that I've had two jobs at once. Is this likely to be noticed? My letter of application and my application form are free from error otherwise. It is literally a slip of the fingers on my keyboard. I am just concerned it makes me appear a RQT when I am really still a NQT. I considered contacting the head teacher to correct myself but I do not want to draw unecessary attention to the error. Obviously if I got to interview stage I would make it clear that I am still a NQT.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You need to contat the HR manager and explain, by email. You need to keep copy of the email.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

In your application letter, have you mentioned being an NQT, looking forward to completing your NQT year in their school, etc?

Two options:

1) Pretend you haven't noticed the typo, but if you are invited to interview, make it very clear from the start that you are an NQT.
    Pros: It doesn't draw attention to the typo, which may not be relevant anyway (especially if you have mentioned elsewhere that you are an NQT).
    Cons: Could be a waste of time if you're invited to interview when they don't intend on employing an NQT.

2) Send a follow-up email (to admin/whoever you sent the application to) apologising for the typo.
    Pros: You won't need to worry about them noticing the error. It could be seen as positive in that you are trying to be honest and rectify a mistake.
    Cons: Drawing attention to a typo may make them wonder why you didn't proofread before sending.

phlogiston and steely1 like this.
  4. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

A good illustration of why you should, wherever possible, ask someone else to proof read your work. You can look at something numerous times, and still not see the error.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd do nothing until called for interview and just mention it then, "I've only just noticed...."

6. year1109

year1109 New commenter

thanks for your replies! I wasn't shortlisted so it isn't a problem now!