1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Franz Schubert, Frederick Delius and Al Capone

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Katzenjammer, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You make it sound as if there are only three and Trump may be a fourth. Add many famous people (many artistic) to that list - Scott Joplin, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Paul Gaugin, Edouard Manet, Oscar Wilde and Guy de Maupassant Charles Baudelaire.

One of the problems before the advent of antibiotics, was that mercury was used as a treatment for syphilis. The cause of death could have been tertiary syphilis rather than neurosyphilis (the two are not the same) but with the dementia caused by mercury poisoning.

3. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

The article is over 3 years old.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Maybe, but Trump is still the president, and he is not getting any better.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've often thought that, if I could travel back in time, I'd give antibiotics to Schubert.

George_Randle and coffeekid like this.
  6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Should we inject Trump with mercury? ;)

7. Katzenjammer

So what. Has Trump's behaviour improved since 2017?

8. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

No, I'd be interested to read the author's more recent views.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's okay, 400 African Americans had treatment withheld to inform us of how syphilis worked, I'm sure that if Donald had it he would have received the appropriate treatment for WASPs who were unlucky.

10. wayside34

wayside34 New commenter

I don't think so ,however he is bizarre,unpredictable on occasions.

I would be worried if I lived in the USA as my family do about Biden and his forgetfulness a huge job to take on at 77 I couldn't imagine the stress must be massive being president.Quite possibly a tight call to see ends up USA president.

11. George_Randle

George_Randle Established commenter

Have you seen Christopher Nupen's film about Schubert?

Imagine what he might have done if he'd lived to Mozart's age.

12. George_Randle

Simon Russell Beale as a syphilitic Schubert:

13. George_Randle

As for Delius, this is the best thing Ken Russell ever did:

Russell keeps pretty close to the truth here, avoiding his usual baroque fantasias.
    Delius was a Nietzsche fan and a devout atheist who despised religion. This is easy enough to do when you enjoy perfect health, but the blindness and paralysis brought on by tertiary syphilis didn't mellow him at all, much to the consternation of his Christian amanuensis Eric Fenby.

The scene in which they carry Delius up a mountain in a chair so that he can see his last sunset is wonderful.

14. Katzenjammer

In another four years he might have finished his 8th symphony, a mighty piece signalling a new direction which he turned out to be unable to follow. Witness the relative failure which is the 9th: anyone playing that who gets to half way through the finale without wishing it would stop has more stamina than I ever did.

15. George_Randle

16. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I expect Donald Trump could compose better music than Sherbet.

17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Imagine what Mozart might have done!