1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Frankenstein and...?

Discussion in 'English' started by roamingteacher, Feb 8, 2012.

1. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

AQA IGCSE spec.

We've already read Frankenstein and, at the learners' request, are now reading The Boy in Striped PJs. As time isn't a massive issue I thought 'why not' - it can't all be about exams and coursework right?

As PJs doesn't seem meaty enough as a comparative 'literary' text, I was originally planning to pair Frankenstein with Dracula. I still might, but before making that final decision, it'd be great to hear what you'd pair it with, especially if it's something particularly fresh, modern and engaging. (I know Dracula might be at least 2 out of 3, but I'm just interested in new ideas.) It could be a published collection of short stories, poetry or another novel. The link can be thematic, character, genre, era - pretty much anything credible.

Look forward to your thoughts!

2. roamingteacher

AQA IGCSE spec.

We've already read Frankenstein and, at the learners' request, are now reading The Boy in Striped PJs. As time isn't a massive issue I thought 'why not' - it can't all be about exams and coursework right?

As PJs doesn't seem meaty enough as a comparative 'literary' text, I was originally planning to pair Frankenstein with Dracula. I still might, but before making that final decision, it'd be great to hear what you'd pair it with, especially if it's something particularly fresh, modern and engaging. (I know Dracula might be at least 2 out of 3, but I'm just interested in new ideas.) It could be a published collection of short stories, poetry or another novel. The link can be thematic, character, genre, era - pretty much anything credible.

Look forward to your thoughts!

3. Lord of the Flies - the darkness of the human heart/ man's inhumanity
    Keats' Lamia/ Isabella/ La Belle Dame
    The Monkey's Paw and other short stories

4. sianna

sianna New commenter

the rime of the ancient mariner. there are loads of references to this in frankenstein so lots of lovely intertextuality!

5. roamingteacher

Thanks. Plenty of food for thought. Much appreciated.