1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Francophobic nonsense

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MalcolmBreem, Jun 12, 2011.

1. A lot of what's in the Daily Mail is racist nonsense, it seems.

2. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I don't read the Daily Mail.

3. Neither do I...but my mother does, and frequently sends me cuttings. [​IMG]

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I don't know, the rest of the article seems pretty positive (if a little predictable) and makes it clear that they blame budget cuts for being forced to use French carriers, no other reason. My first thought when reading the start was "ah well, the English will finally have to put themselves in other people's shoes and learn a language for communication purposes!" but I didn't think the article was that bad to be honest.

5. lasketchup

lasketchup New commenter

Stop the press! Crew of French naval ship talk in French and eat French food!

Isn't the angle of the article something along the lines of "look at where Tony Blair and all his barmy Brussels bureaucrats have brought us, having to resort to squatting on a boat"? Load of cobblers.

6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

Reasonable comment, if, as was said earlier, typical Daily Mail. It's no bad theing that we are working with them. I'm a Francophobe in many ways, but they have some admirable traits that we could do well to emulate - such as doing what they want in Europe and not giving a toss for all the stupid laws.
    A propos this, it appears that the famous site that was set up as a Google page has disappeared - at least, I can no longer find it, which is a shame. It was hilarious. If you googled for "French Military Victories" you got a spoof site which said that no results matched your search and asked if you meant Fench Military Defeats. It then listed them all - in a rather biased way, admittedly. Apparently the frogs were furious - Lol - and it lasted years. It must only recently have disappeared.
    Anyway, here's some breaking news...
    France
    Terror Alert

President Sarkozy has officially raised the French terror alert
    from "Run" to "Hide". There are only two higher alert levels in France, which
    are "Surrender" and "Collaborate". The rise was precipitated by a recent fire
    which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively crippling their
    military.
    [​IMG]

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Though I'm normally an advocate of sarcasm, having just studied the French Resistance Movement with my 6th formers I find that last comment rather de mauvais goût in light of the thousands of French people who were shot/tortured by the Nazis in defence for their freedom.

8. Honestly I dispair. I just hope that you don't teach French. You can't, can you?