1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

France

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Jul 1, 2012.

1. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I echo the tip for savoury crepes and Breton cider - a must! At most crêperies they bring back the menu after you've finished your crêpe and you can order another savoury one or go on to sweet ones. Savoury crêpes are made with buckwheat and are delicious, sweet crêpes are what we think of as 'normal' pale coloured ones.

Eat as much fish as you can! Breton seafood is so fresh and delicious. If you're self-catering, get along to the local fishmonger and ask for some tips - he or she will tell you what is freshest and best quality, and how to cook it if you're lucky. Langoustines or moules marinières are always a good bet. In the supermarket you also get lovely "carottes de sable" which are very sweet carrots grown in sandy soil.

Go to the boulangerie on a Sunday and marvel at the fancy cakes. Beautiful concoctions of whipped cream and pastry!

Try to do a tour of a biscuiterie as they're usually quite interesting and the biscuits are gorgeous, as mentioned somewhere above. You can also visit the HB Henriot factory in Quimper which is famous for its hand-painted china.

Henaff pâté is a famous Breton product that you might want to stock up on before returning home.

Have fun!

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

That's it! I thought Bugles but wasn't sure!

Another thing D always stocks up on when she does the French exchange with school is caramel tea. You can't buy it here. She loves the stuff.

3. Thanks everyone, some delicious suggestions! I can't wait!

4. We're off to Dinan (well, very near Lanvallay) again this summer; staying in the same gite as last year. For us the wine, Vouvray particularly, beautifully fresh fine green beans and the gorgeous tomatoes are what we're really looking forward to.
    There's a lovely restaurant in Port de Dinan and of course the whole of Dinan is gorgeous. When are you going?

5. We're going the first week in August! Do you know the name of the restaurant? We may try it out!! Staying just off the steep road from the port to the town.

6. I couldn't remember the name of the restaurant so have just found it on google maps streetview! It's called Cafe Terrasses and is on the right as you walk down into the main cafe/shops area in the port. We had a fixed price three course lunch for 15 Euros. We're definitely planning on going back there this year.

7. I did my Year Abroad at Uni in Nantes, just about in Brittany - depending on the map/person you're talking to! I would recommend...
    - Seafood, esp mussles
    - Crepes , in a proper creperie! Start with a galette (eg ham,cheese, tomato, egg - all or a mixture) followed by a crepe au chocolat. Traditionally you have them with cider in cups that look little bowls.
    - 'Street' paella - Obvs Spanish, but if you go to any market, they tend to have stalls cooking it and selling it to take away and it's yummy!
    - In the supermarket it has to be pistchios and petit ecolier chocolate biscuits, they are amazing!!! Also cheese, camembert if you like it or brie if you're more conservative.
    I would also advise giving fixed price set menus a go, they are usually amazing and can open your eyes to all sorts of things.
    Bon appetit!