1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

France added

Discussion in 'Personal' started by May2, Aug 13, 2020.

1. May2

May2 Established commenter

So France has been added to quarantine list from Saturday

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

Also Malta, Monaco, Turks and Caicos and Aruba from 04.00 Saturday.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sorry. Cross posted.

May2 likes this.
  4. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Meanwhile lockdown eases even further. Just have an awful foreboding that, as in March, we will be just a few weeks behind the rest of Europe. Oh, of course, silly me, we’re different to the rest of the world, no need to panic. Deja Vu!

Ellakits and Laphroig like this.
  5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

As I've said on another thread I feel inclined to pay for a one off policy to cover my planned trip to Malta in less than two weeks as my current policy now won't cover me and my flight won't be cancelled. I can quarantine and I don't feel that being over there would feel any more unsafe than being here.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

More random re-openings based on no improvement at all.

Who is making these decisions ?

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Don't forget that the Netherlands is also included.

8. florian gassmann

Tim Spector (Professor of Epidemiology at Kings, London) would not agree with you. He's just pointed out that "It's encouraging to see that numbers are coming down slightly across the UK ... Overall, we are pleasantly surprised by the figures this week which are back down to the early July levels".

(Data based on the Covid Symptom Study app, downloaded by almost 4 million users)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-not-beginning-second-wave-coronavirus-a4524136.html

Oscillatingass likes this.
  9. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"Now Tarquin and Africa, first day back at school tomorrow. If teacher asks you where you went on holiday last week you don't say 'France' do you? What do you say....? Good boy, good girl, you say 'Frinton-on-Sea'."

11. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Will Malta (& the other countries) impose tit-for-tat quarantine on UK tourists who arrive there? If so, your holiday might be a trifle restricted...

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Phew! I can get travel insurance for Switzerland, next week. It's only for 3 nights, and I could just rely on the EHIC card, but, sod's law and all that...

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Looks like France will do the same

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Not sure if you can get a policy, now. If the FCO advise against non-essential travel to a country, I don't think you can get insurance. Best to ring your insurer.

15. florian gassmann

The infection rate in Malta is 50 cases per 100,000 of the population, more than two and a half times the rate of the UK. (Not that I want to put you off, but do take care).

16. florian gassmann

The decision on which countries may require quarantine if visited is determined by the infection rate. Anything above 20 cases per 100,000 of population for a period of seven days or more is likely to lead to that country being added to the quarantine list.

17. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

LOL. Love this. So true. There is no way of enforcing that quarantine. What a joke.

sodalime, Jamvic, maggie m and 2 others like this.
  18. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

But there are improvements. BBC reporting it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53695477

Which matches with the UK Covid Sympton app results, used by 4 million people:

[​IMG]

And this matches of course with the hospital data.

19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I believe travelling against FCO advise Invalidates all regular travel insuranc. You have to rely on EHIC

ACOYEAR8, install, chelsea2 and 2 others like this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

How would you like to see it enforced on several hundred thousand people?

Oscillatingass likes this.