1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fractions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by saz0908, May 7, 2012.

1. Can anyone recommend a book/website to help my 10 year old son with fractions.
    He seems to have a real mental block with them so anything that explains how to add, subtract, divide, multiply and convert to decimal would be great.
    To be honest I need to help too.

2. Can anyone recommend a book/website to help my 10 year old son with fractions.
    He seems to have a real mental block with them so anything that explains how to add, subtract, divide, multiply and convert to decimal would be great.
    To be honest I need to help too.

3. Am I wrong is assuming at 10 he's in year 5 or 6? If so he doesn't need to be able to any of the above unless he's aiming for level 6. For year 6 objectives, concentrate upon:

Equivalence of fractions (eg 1/2 is the same as 10/ 20 or 15/30; 1/5 is the same as 5/25) Golden rule - what you do to the bottom, you do to the top.

Equivalence of decimals/ fractions/ percentages: eg/ 1/5 = 0.2 = 20%

Ordering decimals (especially realising that 0.2 is greater than 0.11)

Finding fractions or percentages of amounts eg/ 3/4 of £12 is £9 (find 1/4 first) or what's 30% of £260? etc

Recognising fractions / percentages of shapes when parts are shaded.

He may need to go back to basics - where there's an issue with fractions, decimals or percentages, it's usually because they simply don't 'get' that they are all just different ways of expressing parts of a whole. Always talk in pizzas!

4. Thanks jenniwillis.
    He is off to senior school in September and has been doing practise papers for SAT's.
    Some of the questions he had to find the fraction i.e what fraction of 42 is 7.
    Maybe it's the wording surrounding the question. Thanks for the advice.

5. They are the tricky ones . . .it expects him not only to understand fractions, but read the question in a kind of 'think backwards way'. Tell him to look at the numbers and think factors - it ALWAYS links to his timestables x

6. Thanks. Any good websites he could practice his fractions on?

7. Hi,
    I think this is a really good website:
    Primary Games
    There are loads of useful games which help consolidate mathematical concepts and above all children love them. You can scroll down or go to:
    Fractions
    There is a mark going through the games saying 'For evaluation only' but in my experience children tend to totally ignore it.
    [​IMG]

8. Hi again,
    I'm sure your son will have used this website at school and you may already know about it but if not it will probably help both of you!!
    BBC KS2 Bitesize
    [​IMG]