1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fractions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by buzzby, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Have OFSTED this coming week and am starting fractions with my Y5 midweek. They are very hairy on fractions and although they understand the basics (i.e. one quarter, one fifth, one third, etc.) they need much more practise with finding two thirds, three quarters, etc.

Any wow ideas? I don't want anything too too flash and fancy but just something more than a list of fractions of numbers to find. For the children who are more confident I have planned a fractions of numbers activity but in a more problem solving form. I am not expecting any mental calculation from the children as the idea is to find fractions of numbers using division and therefore they will have access to the calculators.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated and if you need anything in return just yell.
    :)

2. Hi all,

Have OFSTED this coming week and am starting fractions with my Y5 midweek. They are very hairy on fractions and although they understand the basics (i.e. one quarter, one fifth, one third, etc.) they need much more practise with finding two thirds, three quarters, etc.

Any wow ideas? I don't want anything too too flash and fancy but just something more than a list of fractions of numbers to find. For the children who are more confident I have planned a fractions of numbers activity but in a more problem solving form. I am not expecting any mental calculation from the children as the idea is to find fractions of numbers using division and therefore they will have access to the calculators.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated and if you need anything in return just yell.
    :)

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would go for multi-link cubes or other 'realia' i e 5 cubes for fifths, 4 cubes for quarters etc. Intro; children have to show one quarter in one colour & three quarters in another, ditto 2 fifths & 3 fifths. Could give a time limit (countdown clock) to give a bit of pace. They then count how many cubes altogether ( 4 for quarters, 5 for fifths etc), so 2 out of the five are . . . which we write as ? (answer on whiteboards)
    Then some shape drawings which they have to sort e g Which fraction is green? Which fraction is red ?etc.
    Challenge for early finishers would be to make up some examples of their own.
    Hope that makes sense- very difficult to describe.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As you say you are 'starting fractions' I assume it is possible to 'start' something else. Fractions of amounts really does need practice of calculations with a calculator and not much else. 4/5 of 625 isn't really a practical subject.

I'd do an investigation or something based on the topic you are finishing and leave fractions for the week after.

5. Thanks for the replies folks.

Multilink cubes sounds like a great idea - now need to find some in school - I'm sure we have some somewhere! This will be great for my LA children.
    As for not starting fractions till the week after, I don't think it is appropriate not to as I finished off with problem solving/investigative work at the end of last half term and am spending a couple of days on basic skills to get them going again. OFSTED wil have to like what they see as it is what is happening all the time - not all teaching and learning can replicate the excitement of Disneyland!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Phew! I'm reasonably sure I never suggested it should.

However if I was starting a new topic on the day Ofsted were coming, I'd choose one that would fit my strengths and allow the children show show off, not one where I struggle to find anything I think is interesting and that stretches them. Just about making a good impression. Bit like when people come to supper I don't serve them beans on toast, however often we might have it normally.

Good luck with the lesson.