1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fractions of amounts... which strategy to solve?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Mar 18, 2012.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I'm Y2 and wanting to teach children how to calculate fractions of amonts. Looking at the level 3 APP, children need to be able to find several parts of a whole. Which strategy would you get them to use to calculate? Would you use a number line? Draw groups and share accordingly? I'm just not sure what would work best.
    Thanks

2. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I'm Y2 and wanting to teach children how to calculate fractions of amonts. Looking at the level 3 APP, children need to be able to find several parts of a whole. Which strategy would you get them to use to calculate? Would you use a number line? Draw groups and share accordingly? I'm just not sure what would work best.
    Thanks

3. First of all , give it a context.

If you have 3 plates. 1 with 5 biscuits, 1 with 3 biscuits and 1 with 1 biscuit. Ask children to stand by plate they would like to share. Obviously bisuicts need to be identical. Good to get them to see that the more people you are sharing between, the less they will get. Lots of discussion there.
    I teach them to divide the quantity by the number of parts needed, which enables you to introduce the denominator and to make it explicit that a fraction is a way of describing a part of a quantity and not necessarily less than 1 which is what the overuse of pizzas in the early years can do.
    I also model that process as jumps up a number line so that the children can see it that way too. give them lots and lots pf practical experience doing it as although they often appear to get it, asking them to find a third in year 3 often shows that they ave understood what the denominator means. Using ribbons, jelly snakes and similar help them to challenge their understanding and games like Would you rather have... help get them thinking.