1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

fractions - KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tmtm, Feb 23, 2012.

1. I want to teach fractions of shapes. Does anyone have any great ideas for this?

2. Anyone? It is for a Year 1 class.

3. We've had shapes that the children then have to fold them in halves and quarters. Could turn it into an investiagtion for your HA, can this shape be folded into quarters etc. Or what about using food? You could cut up circular and rectangular cakes and get them to cut the cakes up between 4 of them.

4. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

5. anyone?

6. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

It's something my school devised a few years ago. Most of it is taken from the original maths app documents just put on a whole class grid and it makes assessment easier as children have to be really secure in the broken down objectives before the APP is marked off (but more work).

For your more able they should be finding half of an amount of objects. If you have any that can do that confidently anyway start looking at quarters. Folding to start with, realising it's half of a half, then finding quarters of shapes. Make sure children see the link between this and sharing. Quarters and being secure in quarters is Level 2.

7. Thank you for your reply.
    My initial lesson on fractions will focus only on halves of shapes. I don't really want to touch on quarters until later lessons. I am not sure how to challenge my more able when finding halves of shapes. I was thinking maybe give them more difficult shapes such as pentagons, hexagons and octagons. What do you think?

8. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

At Level 1 it's only finding halves of basic shapes. For your less able this would probably be a rectangle. Middle abilitie rectangle, square, maybe triangles? Then for your HA why don't you set them a challenge? Same shapes but once they've found one way to half it could they find another way? I wouldn't get into pentagons, hexagons and octagons - it could over complicate it.

9. Thanks for that. That is a good idea.
    In my lesson for quarters, how would I challenge the more able? Would ask them to investigate which shapes can be quartered and which cannot eg a triangle?

10. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

Potentially, I would really stick with vocab and make sure they understand that though. Vocab is key for halves and quarters and other fractions. I would move on to finding half of a quantity before you move on to quarters though, as finding half of a quantity is still level 1, whereas quarters don't come in until level 2. And use food as much as you can, they remember food more than anything!

11. Thank you once again for your advice. I really appreciate it.