1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fractions investigations - ks2?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sfm_81, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Hi there! I have a Y4 class atm and was wondering if anyone knows any good investigations that involve fractions in some way? Or perhaps converting fractions to decimals??

I've had a quick look and can't find any anywhere!!

Thank you..sfm

2. Hi there! I have a Y4 class atm and was wondering if anyone knows any good investigations that involve fractions in some way? Or perhaps converting fractions to decimals??

I've had a quick look and can't find any anywhere!!

Thank you..sfm

3. Oh come on, surely you can find something?
    IIRC the requirements for handling fractions in KS2 dont extend beyond 1/2, 1/4, 3/4, 1/10 and 1/100 which may assist your planning
    This is one of the many many possible starting places
    http://www.crickweb.co.uk/ks2numeracy.html

4. A "Multiple Representations" activity? In the past my students have done position on a number line; expressed as a sum of unit fractions; written in words; written as a number; shown using a picture of a pizza; shown using a picture of a chocolate bar; shown using shaded diagrams; shown using plasticine (photographed); shown using equivalent fractions.

(Requests like this from primary colleagues make me wonder how my year 7s can arrive with such a shaky understanding of fractions).

5. I am shocked at the patronizing comment made by the previous 'teacher' in response to a genuine and reasonable request for maths investigations relating to fractions - perhaps from someone not quite so experienced and superior as yourself. For many relatively new to the profession, finding resources is an enormous undertaking and a gracious pointers from those who have been in the profession a while, go a long way...

6. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

7. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Or, "complete waste of time" as I put it?

Get a text book. They're wonderful things.

8. Colleen_Young

Paul I like a good text book too but there is a great deal of good stuff out there all for free and variety is good! Worth a few searches I'd say.

9. I guess that I am the previous "teacher" GordonPhilippa is commenting about. Looking back at the comment I wrote 2 years ago I'm don't see how it was patronising, but I am not so sure that I'm still comfortable with the final sentence I wrote. (I do think the rest of my post is helpful though - I actually remember doing that activity with the cameras and fractions the last time I had year 7s!).

10. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

There's a lot of bad stuff out there for free too.

What's so good about moving away from a tested resource to an untested one?

In industry, even the smallest change from approved practice requires dozens of people to get together and agree the change is either necessary, positive or both.

That's why cars start first time, every time, these days.

I say again, not only should it not be necessary for every teacher up and down the land to put in thousands of unpaid man-hours re-inventing the wheel, but it's actually a bad thing to do if the wheel we currently have is a good one.

11. Colleen_Young

Paul there is indeed a load of bad stuff that's why I make a note of the stuff I like! I couldn't agree more about reinventing the wheel - there is no need because I know where I can find the good stuff!

12. There is an old saying "if things don't change they will stay as they are" until such times when most pupils get everything there is a need for people to search out and try new alternatives. The lack of collaboration will always be a problem within teaching, so the forum is a good place to find the few who do share.
    There ia an interesting free to use Singapore style maths resource that can be used for teaching fractions of shapes by using drag n drop counters on the IWB and using the coloured board pens to teach the concepts of numerator and denominator.
    www.12xtables.co.uk the link is on this page, then just use the geoboard link to use for shape work with basic fractions.