1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fractions - Halves / quarters

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by poppypig, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Has anybody got any ideas for small group activities for my Reception class please?

Got the usual stuff like cakes and pizza.
    Any fresh ideas would be grateful!

2. Hello
    We've just looked at halves and quarters in my Year 1 class and I know it can be tricky thinking of things to do. We talked about halves and quarters being fair so each person had the same or each part looked the same or had the same name. We investigated halves and quarters of different 2d shapes. We drew around them and folded and coloured half/or cut them in half. I gave them different lengths of paper and string and they had to work with a partner and decide where half way might be and fold them/ cut them. I gave them different lengths/strips of squared paper and they had to decide with a partner how many squares they would need to colour so half of the paper would be coloured. We also did a simple practical investigation to halves of numbers, using towers of multilink and sharing them into two hoops and talking about what we noticed and extended it to quarters and four hoops towards the end of the week. Some children made various sized towers and broke them where they thought half might be and then they checked whether it was fair with a partner. We also thought about sharing small groups of children between two of the class tables so there were half the group on each of the two tables.
    I hope this helps a little. Lots of luck (";)

3. Thank you so much for your help given me more inspiration now to start planning for this. Thanks again.
    If anybody else has any ideas then feel free to post them on here!! Cheers

Poppypig

4. I break up a bar of chocolate - usually a bigger one that has an even number of sections, ( then get to eat it with the TA at break time.