1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fractional Contract

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by snoopycat, Mar 3, 2012.

1. snoopycat

snoopycat New commenter

Instead of VR and Early retirement I've been offered a Fractional contract.
    What is the difference between this and a full time contract regarding pay, holiday entitlement, security, prep/admin duties, etc ?
    Anyone got any advice for me please?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You've been offered the chance to reduce your hours and go part time.... The 'fraction' will depend on what is offered, so a 0.5 fractional contract is half a full time one, so half the salary. Holiday entitlement remains the same as for all teachers regardless.

3. snoopycat

snoopycat New commenter

Hi. Thanks for your response. When you say holidays remain the same do I get holidays that are a fraction of the previous ones in my full time position?

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Well no.... why would a school ask you to teach through the 13 weeks of school holidays when students are not there???

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Take-home pay will be a larger proportion of the gross pay, as you'll pay proportionally less tax.
    Directed time should be pro rata. If you don't work Mondays, you can't be expected to go in on Mondays for meetings/parents evenings.
    Check what they're proposing with hours. A 0.6 contract where you work three days each means you can get supply/another contract on the other days. A 0.6 contract which is spread across five days means little opportunity for other earning.
    Should there be redundancies next year, you have the same employment rights as a full-timer.
    Assuming you are old enough to be staying on the original pension rules, your pension if you retire from a part-time post is based on the full-time salary - although obviously you won't make a full year's worth of contributions eah year whilst working part-time.