1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fracking in Lancashire

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Oct 12, 2018.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

carterkit likes this.
  3. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

"But it's only the north so what does it matter?" said lots of politicians, business people, judges, lawyers etc from the Home Counties and county council fat cats who will be retiring early with index-linked pensions and moving from the area soon. "We won't be affected by the contaminated water, earth tremors and other environmental and health factors. known and as yet unknown"

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Can I just say, before I gracefully retire from this thread, (I shouldn't have read it) that my position on fracking is 100% against fracking.

yodaami2, HelenREMfan and carterkit like this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

And this comes the same week the IPCC made clear we have just 12 years to avert the very worst effects of catastrophic climate change.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Fracking is reckless and dangerous technology - it should be banned everywhere.

kibosh, grumpydogwoman and carterkit like this.
  7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

This is totally wrong. Makes my blood boil.

kibosh, carterkit and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

This was my thoughts too. We are being urged to reduce our use of fossil fuels, cut down on fuel consumption and use more sustainable energy and then they say yes to fracking, doesn't make sense.

kibosh, carterkit and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

In short?

Frack off.

kibosh and carterkit like this.
  11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The Court of Appeal has been asked for an expedited hearing into Judge Altham's sentencing decision, which could (and I should think probably will) be ruled unsafe due to the obvious conflict of interest. It's also possible to refer his decision to the Judicial Conduct Investigations Office, although they say that no complaint has been received as yet.

Ivartheboneless and carterkit like this.
  12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Why is fracking any worse for the environment than extracting oil and gas from the north sea?

neddyfonk and peter12171 like this.
  13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Prison sentence for peacefully protesting! Words fail me!

grumpydogwoman and carterkit like this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The judge said it was because of the cost caused by their actions (£12,000 policing costs plus £50,000 loss to Cuadrilla), along with the fact that he felt they showed no remorse and would re-offend if given a non-custodial sentence.

I do think, though, that the sentence is likely to be reduced on appeal as it does seem very harsh.

15. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

A very good question. My - fairly basic - understanding of fracking is that poisonous chemicals leak into the water table and find their way into rivers, streams and reservoirs. And given how dirty the "drinking" water that comes out of my kitchen tap is I certainly wouldn't be relying on United Utilities to remove them.

Residents near fracking sites in the US have increased rates of respiratory problems in particular asthma according to a study by John Hopkins School of Public Health.

Another study at the same university showed women living near fracking sites had a 30 per cent higher chance of having a premature baby and a 40 per cent higher chance of having a "high-risk" pregnancy. This study was controlled for socio-economic factors.

Another joint study by the Universities of Pennsylvania and Columbia "compared the hospitalization rates between a county with active fracking and a neighboring county without. This study found that fracking well density was significantly associated with higher inpatient hospitalization for cardiac or neurologic problems. There was also an association between skin conditions, cancer and urologic problems and the proximity of homes to active wells." Quote from Forbes magazine (and that's usually very pro-business.)

And that's before you get on the catastrophies caused by spills and accidents.

kibosh, lexus300 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not to mention the possibility of collapsing rock formations and potential subsidence

It's a stupid thing to do.

kibosh, grumpydogwoman and carterkit like this.
  17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have heard this too. I have also heard that our shale fields are much deeper than in the US and may be well below the water table.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

All good grounds for research IMO.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's also hugely uneconomical - you simply don't get much gas out of it.

kibosh likes this.
  20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Then how are the USA managing it? They are self sufficient in energy now and exporting it as well.