1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FP1 Maths question

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by moontitan, Nov 29, 2018.

1. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Sinx=(sqrt3-1)/(2sqrt2) for 0<=theta<pi/2
    From the t formulae it is given that t=(sqrt3-1)/(sqrt3+1)
    and sin2x=2t/(1+t^2)
    So sin2x=1/2 which means 0<= theta<pi

What is the value of x?
    I get 15 and 75 but I can see that 75 does not work when I sub it back into the question.
    So why does this result come about?

2. Informant

Informant New commenter

I'm curious about your problem. For sin(x)= [your value], the principal value of x=15 degrees and in range 0<= x <90 a second value x=75 is indeed a possibility (I assume your reference to theta really means x and that your answers in degrees mean the constraints are not in radians as stated, but in degrees). For t= [your other value], I agree sin(2x) = 1/2 so 2x = 30 degrees (principal value), but also 2x = 150 degrees, so x=75 also as you state. I may be missing something but it appears to me that x=15 and x=75.

The maths thread on TES Forum isn't heavily used, but if you want informed opinion, typically within 10 mins of posting, try thestudentroom and select Forums followed by Maths Study Help. It's used by students, staff and academics.

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

You have mixed up x, 2x, theta and 2theta
    Could you give a page reference or a photo of the question? I can post a photo if it's in the FP1 book.

The Maths thread has plenty of responses when a question comes along, we are happy to join in your mathematical explorations!

4. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

It is on page 119 Q6c of the new FP1 spec.

Thanks!

5. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

Sin 75 is the conjugate surd of Sin 15.

Sin 75 = [sqrt(6) + sqrt(2)]/4
    Sin 15 = [sqrt(6) - sqrt(2)]/4

If you replace sin 2x by 1/2 in the t^2 equation and solve for t there are two conjugate roots t = 2[1 +/- sqrt(3)], the one given for t in your post is satisfied by sin 15 and the other is satisfied by sin 75.

That's just an observation, without seeing the original question it's difficult to say if that helps you much.

6. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

Edited to correct a typo.

7. adamcreen

Here it is. Not an x in sight!
    IMG_E2029.JPG

Informant likes this.
  8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

As the questions says, you need to find cos (2theta) also. The t formula gives (sqrt3)/2. Therefore only pi/6 satisfies both sin and cos values, giving pi/12 as the only value of theta.

Informant likes this.
  9. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

If the question had read 0<=theta<pi/2 then theta would have one value, i.e. theta = pi/12. However, it does not.

Read again, 0<=theta/2<pi/2 which is equivalent to 0<=theta<pi. That mistake??? invalidates/complicates parts a, b and c and theta would have 2 values even allowing for the mistake in part a.

Assuming it was intended to read 0<=theta<pi/2 then a and b are ok and c gives tan(2theta) = 1/sqrt(3) where 0<=2theta<=pi. The tan() function on [0,pi] is non-negative and 1-1 only over [0, pi/2) and so 2theta = pi/6 and it follows that theta = pi/12.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  10. adamcreen

These textbooks are notorious for their errors (I have a blogpost as long as your arm listing all the errors people have found) and it's perfectly believable they meant theta not theta/2 in the inequality. Good spot Gnulinux.

11. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Thanks.

12. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I must admit I hadn't noticed the theta/2 and assumed it was theta, as did the OP. I think it must be a mistake, otherwise there would be 2 possible values for tan(theta) but only one value is given in part (a).

13. moontitan

moontitan New commenter

Thanks for all the responses, good to know so many folk still here.