1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Four weeks and counting!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by flynne50, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Well after lots of deliberation, I am retiring in four weeks. What happened to the job I love?/loved?
    I should be sad but I'm not I feel utterly exhausted and frankly will be running out of the school gates if I have the energy! What has happened to our lovely school? Staff are miserable and we are jumping our children through hoops! I was hoping to enjoy the last few weeks but the tests, assessments continue.
    I was assuming I would be celebrating twenty five years in teaching but instead the pressure continues.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I feel your pain, it's a very familiar story. Once you have retired you won't know how you ever had the time to work, the days fly by so I am trying make sure I get the most out of each day - even if that means just relaxing and enjoying a good book.

3. Thank you InkyP I'm just not sure how I am going to get through the next four weeks? What should be a lovely time is fast becoming a nightmare.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

[​IMG] Well we're all here rooting for you

...and I've just pulled up a chair, ready for you, at the retirement table

5. Thank you ! I will be there! Everyone asks me what I am going to do. Well hopefully all the things I enjoy and have stupidly put on hold for the last few years! When I first came into teaching I was able to juggle it all. But over the last few years weekends and holidays have been spent getting over the exhaustion of paperwork teaching and the emotional roller coaster ride of school. I see younger colleagues struggling and worry how they will stay in the profession these are amazing teachers who teach because they believe in children and want to give them a good start in life.

6. lizziescat

They'll get over it

It took over thirty years for me to get to that stage. This can now be achieved in 3-5 years.

Achieving the same result in less time could be seen as greater efficiency [​IMG]

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

What a lovely image!

Don't let them upset you now at this stage - keep calm and just do what you have to do. Good luck and keep your eye on the sunny horizon.

8. Agreed ! I have so many friends in the profession young and nearing retirement that have decided to leave, Some have almost decided over night to hand in ttheir resignation letter. I suspect some heads rubbing hands together at prospect of new cheaper models.

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Damn I've got four months, and I'm not sure I should have volunteered to stay that long.

10. I decided and told the head last september and the time has flown.Summer term is always busy and assessment and reports to be done. I was only thinking I should have retired at a different time of year so jacob the time will fly and it maybe slightly less stressful if you don't have to juggle end of year paperwork. Good Luck!

11. Its Sunday and I have that Sunday feeling

If there are any words of wisdom of how I get through until the end of term please could you share them with me :) So much to do and people to please. I think I am just worn out. So sad as I thought I would be bouncing around the place I want to give the children the best four weeks but at the moment just pooped!

I would put emotions on my posts but I haven't worked out how to do it....yet.

Anyone else out there feeling like this ?

12. lizziescat

No 'wisdom' I'm afraid but just do what matters to you and the children (you see I can revert to calling them that now rather than 'students', 'young people', 'learners' and whatever other twaddle has got some oik promoted beyond their experience). Dispense with the pointless admin or latest gimmick and go back to what you came into the profession for all those years ago. (what exactly will happen if your ignore -or pay lip service to such diktats?). In the last 4 years of my job,I just comforted myself that, " I don't need a reference for my pension" and, "I'll go tomorrow if you wish".

(chair's still waiting)

13. Awh Thank you, yes I have thought of lots of things I know the children will love and.......drumroll....learn from! Badly phrased I know.

I am hoping to keep my head down and classroom door shut. Maybe they will think I have gone already!

14. lizziescat

no problem. I,ve ordered your chair

15. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Good on you.That is exactly what I did last summer.Once your paper work is done and dusted,just go back to teaching how you used to , doing the sort of work etc you know you and your pupils loved and feel the thrill of what you went into teaching for in the first place .Be careful not to burn your boats and say things you have wanted to say for a while to certain people , just in case you ever need to go back.Have a constant running thread in your mind of ,`this is the last time I will ..... ` and have fun.

It is nice over here in retirement corner ,if you do not want to do a lot to start with ,don`t !! There are no observations,no rules,no xxxx paperwork, apart from sorting out your tax and pension ,just sunny days ahead at Retirement cafe .xxx

16. olderandwiser

olderandwiser Occasional commenter

Great decision to retire. Well done. Use the time to enjoy the last few weeks, do what you want and leave in everyone's good books. [​IMG]

Best thing I ever did, leaving teaching at 50 two years ago. I've done a bit of supply for a few months each year since then, and now also employ retired teachers to do supply teaching though the company I set up, and have never been so well-off, both financially and time-rich. This year, I spent a month skiing in Poland in January, went to Mexico for three weeks and I'm writing this from Sagres in Portugal - where I'm learning to surf! I return in 10 days, when my new campervan is ready to pick up and am heading to Scotland till August. Teaching is a killer as you get older so as soon as you can go, go. After 6 months, you will be wondering how you ever coped.