1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

four point thirty four

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mmmmmaths, Dec 3, 2011.

1. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

I decided to phone Orange to complain about them 'breaking contract' by increasing my payments mid contract. (Along with everyone else on a mobile contract with them). I was greeted by a recorded message reassuring me that the increase was only "four point thirty four percent".
    So I was wondering, after putting in a complaint to Ofcom regarding the increase who can I complain to regarding Orange's lack of knowledge of decimals?

2. Equally, the Daily Mail should be condemned for stating that an increase from 0.78% to 0.88% on banking tax was a '10% increase". Doesn't help that it's a fascist, anxiety culture fuelling, toilet paper of a newspaper, but still, I think it's a fair point.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Our local paper reported a 154% increase in "honour" crimes locally. I spent some time trying to work out what the previous year's figure must have been for this to be possible, before reading the article and discovering they'd rounded incorrectly. At least it was only a rounding error.