1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Four More Years of Wage Cuts

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Marco82, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

Osborne's budget has a nice surprise for public sector workers: four more years of wage restraint, to be precise, 1% per annum until 2019. By that point we will have seen our wages grow below inflation for a full decade. At the moment, we have seen a real terms fall in our living near standards of 14% since 2009, which means that all we gained under McCrone is pretty much gone. And for what? To pay the price of a crisis created by bankers who have walked away with their trousers full when they should be in jail. Meanwhile, just to rub our noses in it, MPs have been awarded an increase of of seven thousand pounds. So what now? Our union leaders have been shouting loudly about an "end to austerity" and how, to inject demand into a stagnant economy, Britian "needs a wage rise". Who could disagree? But how to translate words into action, that is the hard bit. They should set about creating a united front of all public sector workers and prepare the way for a sustained period of struggle. The government is trying to solve the crisis at our expense. It is time to call a halt.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Interestingly, what we were offered uphere, 2.5% over 2 years, is more than the 1%. I guess we will have to see what will happen.

3. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

I dont know whether your on the the wrong board but in Scotland the Holyrood government gets a block grant from the UK government and it is the Scottish Government of the day who decide how this is spent.

For example pensioners get free personal care and everyone get free prescriptions irrespective of how much you earn. In England this is slightly different where the well off pay a flat fee for prescriptions.

In Scotland the government could, in theory, pay teachers (or any public sector worker for that matter) an extra £5k per year but they dont as they have to balance the books.

The current government has decided that spending £1.2bn on free prescriptions for (on average) the better off and by freezing council tax for over 8 years (which statistically benefit he better off) are more of a priority.

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I think catmother just forgot how it works now. When I heard the 1% news I initially thought that too. Personally, I just can't wait for the big 2.5%. Nah, it will be nearer 0.5% than 2.5%.

5. Marco82

Guys, I am on the Scottish side of the border! I understand the point about decision making but Osborne's stance on public sector pay with be the benchmark for Scotland too, no doubt about that. And it suits the Scottish government, of course, to point the finger at Westminster and blame it for the attacks on public sector pay. However, even if Sturgeon does go a bit beyond 1%, which I doubt, we are still facing years of falling living standards on top of

what we have already suffered. The unions should develop a longer term stratagey and launch a campaign which, over four years say, would see our pay restored to what it was before the Tories started putting the boot in.

6. Which point was that?

7. Marco82

The point, Airy, is that I do recognise that, in the end, it is for the Scottish government to decide precisely what pay pay award they will offer. But I would say to you, look closely at the details of the budget and there you will find set out in black and white that the Tories are planning to curtail public sector wage rises to 1% fo the next four years. Actually, I believe that the public sector will be lucky to see any real wage growth ever again, or at least for a long time to come. Austerity is here to stay unless we decide to say no.

8. You don't have to look that hard to see the 1% figure.

It was a serious question. You wanted pay restored to what it was "before the Tories started putting the boot in". When was that? Before this government? Before the Condem government? Or back to Major and Thatcher?

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You're probably right! We will be lucky if we get 0.5%!

Seriously,down south getting only 1% for the next 4 years doesn't bode well for our unions holding out for more that the current Cosla offer. I wonder if Cosla will come back ans say "too late,you should have taken the offer when it was on the table"

10. Marco82

Airy, I don't really care, I mean we should be looking to restore what we have lost since, say 2008. That would be a start.

11. That's clearer, thank you.

12. Marco82

Hi, an update on our wages. The EIS website confirms what I said at the start of this thread,namely that Osborne intends to impose four more years of wage restraint on the public sector,with wage rises limited to 1% for the duration of that period. So my initial comment, that we face a decade and more or falling living standards, is unfortunately true. The unions, indeed the whole profession, need to wake up and develop a strategy to oppose this. Of course, the media will denounce greedy workers and union militants if we do decide to tak action so we have to be prepared for that. However, London tube workers, because they have strong union leadership, have managed to buck the trend and won really good wage rises. We should follow their example.

13. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Our unions are rubbish.

We need to strike for a number of reasons: workload, decline in real pay, pensions to name but a few. But you know, a significant number of our colleagues will put the weans first. Admirable, but . . .

14. sicilypat

sicilypat New commenter

A decline in students both taking and passing STEM subjects at Higher could be in part due to staff shortages in these subjects. And who could fault a young graduate for rejecting teaching as a profession when higher wages are available elsewhere.

I agree 100% with you bigJ. All the reasons you cite along with an increasingly threatening attitude from LAs on issues such as absence monitoring should be enough to motivate us to strike.

All this "wages are rising" stuff put out by Cameron et al makes my blood pressure rise - better not be off sick though( doctor's certificate or not) or disciplinary coming my way.

15. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

Marco, do you have a link for this or can you copy and paste the article. I cant find it.

16. Marco82

Daviee, I am not quite sure exactly what you are referring to but I think it is the announcement of the government's intention to limit public sector wages to 1% per annum for the next four years. If so, then have a look at the EIS home page and you will find it there. I am sorry I don't know how to do that copy and paste thing in my iPad. Pathetic, I know!

17. Marco82

I should have added that the Scottish government and COSLA are passing the buck, blaming each other for the attacks on our living standards. It is clear to me, though, that the government has to bear the responsibility for it sets the budgets for the local authorities.

18. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

If we only get a 1% rise, which pushes all point 6 payscale members into the next pension bracket (9.7%) which in turn will mean the pay RISE will cause them to take home LESS per month we might actually get a profession uniting a bit more rather than simply accepting things!