1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Four months to go

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by kenneth_mcalpine, Aug 15, 2015.

1. I've hit the magical age of 65, and have just acquired the NZ Govt Super and the Gold Card, which gives me free travel all over the place. I thought I'd be distraught at the prospect of leaving teaching - after all, I've been doing it now for 42 years. But with the prospect of retirement now a reality, and four months left until the end of the NZ school year, I'm increasingly excited about freedom from the drudgery. We've just bought a tiny cottage on the edge of the most beautiful harbour in the world. Totally isolated from the world, the sky at night so dark but with more stars than you would ever believe possible, magnificent mountains on the horizon, 30 minutes to the nearest town. We have orange trees in the garden, bananas, avocados and so many other fruits. the sea is across the road, with some of the best fishing in the world. I think I'm going to like retirement!

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Brilliant! Here's hoping they make a fuss of you when you do retire and then off you go into the bright blue yonder. Have a great future.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Speechless - for many reasons! Enjoy!

4. gymjack

gymjack New commenter

Wow sounds amazing. Any B&B deals for fellow teachers?