1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Four months notice

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by stevyn, Sep 12, 2018.

1. stevyn

stevyn New commenter

I'm told that three to four months notice is required to be given to Teachers Pensions prior to your planned retirement date. Silly question, but do TP contact your school to process it? Given that notice handing your resignation to the school is somewhat shorter (half a term?) do the school in actual fact have prior warning?

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Depends what type of retirement you want
    Normal retirement at 60
    Phased retirement
    ARB

In the case of the first one the school should know you are abut to be 60 and they fill the form in to confirm. You are leaving
    In the case of the second you will still be employed by the school and they have to tell TP how many days you are working

In the case of arb they have to tell TP how much they are paying you and when your last day of work is

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If you are an LA school TPS will contact the LA. The LA run your payroll and the school will have given them notice that your contract is ending due to retirement having received your resignation. Presumably for a MAT they will contact them or whoever runs the payroll and HR.

4. stevyn

stevyn New commenter

I am at an Academy in a Trust, If I am 60 in April just how soon before my retirement date would TP be in touch with my employers? Many thanks for your reply.

richest1 likes this.
  5. stevyn

stevyn New commenter

Many thanks for the info.

6. Sundaytrekker

If you apply to TPS for your retirement pension, this triggers them to ask your employer (or LA) for the relevant information. As it’s all by computer systems that part is fairly quick. It might take longer for your employer to confirm the information. Some of it can’t be finalised till after your last pay period.

richest1 and emerald52 like this.
  7. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Surely they already know.

Your benefit statement at TPS is now updated monthly.

8. Sundaytrekker

In the case of ARB teachers pensions have to ask the employer to confirm the acceptance of the resignation. Employers could refuse to do this for six months if they wish. In my case, as a headteacher, TPS asked the LA to confirm this. They asked the School (me) to provide proof in the form of my resignation letter and the chair of governors acceptance letter. For a teacher the letter would have come from me. Alternatively there was a form to sign giving this consent. TPS will not start to process the application without this in place.

PeterQuint and emerald52 like this.
  9. PeterQuint

Thanks.

What happens if you give your school minimum notice (two months?) and your pension isn't ready when you go? Do you get 'back pay'?

10. Sundaytrekker

If you are asking for ARB and the school is insisting on six months so they won’t confirm it to TPS then I don’t think you do. Ask TPS. If everything is agreed and they are just late getting the admin passed on then you should get back payments. I know a teacher who retired in July and hasn’t got her pension or lump sum yet because the School office didn’t notify their payroll provider that this was a retirement resignation. This was a mistake and will be rectified but could complicate things if someone had part time or supply work they wanted to move onto.

11. PeterQuint

Surely the school would be opening themselves up to legal action by delaying this.

A couple of simple questions - is our data accurate & have they confirmed they’re retiring on date xx/xx/xxxx, can be answered on the same say, possibly the next day, within three days absolute tops. No excuses whatsoever for it taking over two months.

Any deliberate delay which costs someone money must be open to legal action.

Then there's TPS. If a person says they’re retiring on 31st December, and the school (however belatedly) confirm this, surely TPS are legally bound to cough up.

“Our system is so **** that it can’t work that fast” is no excuse for not paying out thousands of pounds.

12. Sundaytrekker

I think the original reason behind the school being able to insist on six months notice for ARB was that they might need longer to recruit your replacement if they were not expecting you to retire yet. I’ve never heard it enforced in practice but I do know that schools are asked if they agree to the retirement date if less than this. It’s part of TPS rules not the school’s.

13. PeterQuint

Cheers. But that begs the question, why would they need longer to find a replacement for someone retiring than for someone simply moving to another job?

14. Sundaytrekker

Agreed. Perhaps it’s a rule that needs changing.

PeterQuint likes this.