1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundations of Advanced Mathematics FSMQ

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by scentless_apprentice, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Has anyone used the above course with top-end GCSE students as an extra qualification?
    Does it have any merit in doing so? Are there any pitfalls of the course?
    Cheers
    Scentless

2. DM

DM New commenter

FSMQ Additional Mathematics would be my preference as it eases the transition to AS mathematics.

3. Cheers.
    I'm also considering the AQA L2 Certificate in Further Mathematics, if anyone's got an opinions on that...

4. I also have experience of this course and, although results are hard to achieve (it's certainly harder than some of the AS units) it gives students such a head start at AS that we stuck with it and results improved.

5. I used the course a few years ago to prepare GCSE Intermediate Tier students for A-Level (they had sat the GCSE in November, and did the FSMQ up until May). The course is difficult and succeeded in putting many students off A-Level, and was virtually no use in preparing students for the A-Level course. I didn't like the course, would not do it again.

6. Thanks all. I would only use either course with our very top set (the majority of which are working at grade A level anyway) and not try to use it as a 'bridging' course for those at grade B.