1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation toYear 6 move

Discussion in 'Primary' started by willowleaf, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Powers that be are moving me from foundation to year 6 in September to deal with challenging class. Would be grateful for any tips or good books to read as a little out of my depth as never taught out of Early Years!

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

They must have a lot of confidence in you if they are moving you out of your comfort zone to deal with a challenging class.

My top tip would be to set clear expectations from the start (just as you would with reception) and don't back down over anything. Also, Year 6 like to get rewards just as much as the younger children do, but the rewards they get might need tweaking! Mind you, I did have a yr6 class a couple of years ago who would just about do anything for a sparkly sticker!

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Also, anything by Michael Morpurgo always goes down a treat, but you sometimes need to edit bad language (even though he doesn't use it gratuitously).

Darren Shan books have been popular recently as individual readers, especially for boys.

4. Thanks. Looking for all the ideas I can get