1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation Subject Planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by HBryant, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi! I am just about to begin my NQT year and wanted to get ahead with some planning. Seeing as this is my first year of teaching I have never actually constructed a long term plan. I'm a bit confused with what I am expected to teach in topics like geography and history - we have a topic focus a term such as 'green' 'olympics' and 'a sense of place' which will obviously need to be linked in but are there specific objectives for YR3 which must be covered? If so where do I find them? The standards site seems obvious to me but the topics have a bit of a loose connection with those published I feel. When it comes to DT I have been told that I need to cover 'levers', 'cushion covers' and 'greenhouses' - do I pluck objectives for this out of thin air?! Science sussed. And also where on earth do I begin with music/PE/PSHE planning?! Sorry, having a little panic! Any help much appreciated! Oh, and also a random question but do the PLS units need to be taught in a particular order?

2. Hi! I am just about to begin my NQT year and wanted to get ahead with some planning. Seeing as this is my first year of teaching I have never actually constructed a long term plan. I'm a bit confused with what I am expected to teach in topics like geography and history - we have a topic focus a term such as 'green' 'olympics' and 'a sense of place' which will obviously need to be linked in but are there specific objectives for YR3 which must be covered? If so where do I find them? The standards site seems obvious to me but the topics have a bit of a loose connection with those published I feel. When it comes to DT I have been told that I need to cover 'levers', 'cushion covers' and 'greenhouses' - do I pluck objectives for this out of thin air?! Science sussed. And also where on earth do I begin with music/PE/PSHE planning?! Sorry, having a little panic! Any help much appreciated! Oh, and also a random question but do the PLS units need to be taught in a particular order?

3. This always amazes me - that schools can leave a new teacher, let alone an NQT, with no idea of what areas they are supposed to be teaching.
    The objectives you need to cover are in the NC - these are the only statutory ones. However, you do need to know which ones are covered by other years.
    Some schools follow the QCA units - are they doing this? They might use these to separate up the objectives but then devise their own planning. Are you able to go back to your head and discuss long term planning with him/her? You say you have science sussed - are these related to QCA? If so, you might find that the rest will be.
    The literacy units give a order to follow ie Narrative 1 before the others. However, I don't tend to follow this order exactly but you do need to think about the objectives, espcially word and sentence, and maybe swap these about.
    Good luck