1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FOUNDATION STAGE UNIT SET UP

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by scarfandhat, Mar 4, 2019.

1. scarfandhat

scarfandhat New commenter

Hello!
    My school is joining our current nursery and reception class together from September due to budgets! We will have roughly 15 reception pupils (full time), 15 pre-school children and around 5 children that will be 2 (all part time).
    We will have 1 teacher, 1 HLTA and 1 TA in the class with 2 classrooms to use.

Does anyone have copies of timetables for a unit?
    Does there need to be a pre-school manager in place to over see?
    How would you all recommend I use the two rooms? I will have a base each for FS1 and FS2 but it seems difficult to set up 2 rooms, both with all areas of learning and with high quality provision just for the children to come together to use one room during child learning due to ratios.

Please help!
    Thank-you.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! 2 year olds with Reception sounds a nightmare!

I think I would maybe try setting up one room with the large play things (construction, trains, role play, sand, water, etc) and the other with the quieter things (jigsaws, painting, etc) and use this quieter room for focus group work as well.
    Are the rooms close enough to have free flow between them?

3. scarfandhat

@caterpillartobutterfly
    Thankyou got the suggestions! I'll definitely look into that.
    There is a short corridor in between the two rooms (maybe about 3 meters). The corridor is also the entrance and exit to the kitchen and the outdoor access is in the corridor too.
    I hope someone can give me any ideas on how to work this together with a smaller class as most of the conversations about FSU are for bigger ones!

Thanks!

4. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I am querying your staffing. Are all of the children you have listed in at once? If so then you need 1 adult per 4 children for your 2 year olds and 1:13 for your nursery age children. I would agree with @caterpillartobutterfly Reception children and 2 year olds are not a good mix. The 2 year olds need a cosy exploratory space with equipment that is safe for their age. I would try to keep the 2 year olds and maybe younger 3 year olds separate. Some of the equipment needed for Reception may be a hazard for the 2 year olds. Also 2 year olds need a routine based on their needs that can quickly be adapted (think terrible 2s and tantrums through frustration- very developmental but not suited to a maths or phonics session with Reception!) Also 2 year olds need a curriculum based on the 3 prime areas whereas Reception will need a wider curriculum with plenty of focused teaching. If you have a local EYFS team in your LA I would recommend enlisting their help. Good luck.

5. littlejackhorner

Just another thought. Do you have accessible changing areas? Your 2 year olds will probably need nappy changes. I worked with 1 school that developed a room for 2 year olds and they built a screeened changing area within the room. This enabled them to change children whilst still keeping an eye on everyone else.

6. scarfandhat

Hello! @littlejackhorner Thank you for your reply.
    All of the children will not be in at the same time but that is the rough overall number. The current nursery room has 2-4 year olds in one room with a changing area etc and through the corridor is the reception classroom. I would prefer not to have 2 years old but this is the information I’ve had passed down from my head.
    I

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I would also query your ratio. You need a minimum of 4 adults in your scenario.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think the OP is abroad, in Qatar or similar, so ratios may be different.

9. scarfandhat

I am currently working international but I’m returning to my old job in September in the U.K.
    If I had 15 reception, 12 3-4 year olds and and 3 2 years old would 3 members of staff be enough to cover ratios? I’ve never worked in nursery/pre-school and finding the ratio explanations online confusing!
    Thank you

10. littlejackhorner

Those ratios are fine. I will post some suggestions later about possible organisation.

11. scarfandhat

12. littlejackhorner

My suggestion would be to keep most of the nursery children based in the room with a changing area and put 2 members of staff in there- I'm thinking about making it easier when children need changing. I would base your Reception in the other room ( maybe with a small group of nursery). I would ensure that its either you or the HLTA in one room and then the same with the other room. I would look at keeping the TA with the 2 year olds and then they can develop a bond with her/him. Attachments are very important for 2 year olds. I would try to access training about 2 year olds. Their needs are very different. Also planning will need to be different. Could your HLTA do this and have some planning time for it? If possible try and acc

13. littlejackhorner

Sorry something went missing! Try and access support from your LA EYFS team if you have one.

14. scarfandhat

Thank you very much! I will look into all of this!

Does anyone currently run a unit that could send me a timetable and/or planning?