1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation Stage Supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lizdot, Jan 2, 2017.

1. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Hi
    Due to threatened capability proceedings I will be leaving my current position at Easter. I am planning to do supply but as my only recent experience is with Foundation Stage I would not feel confident teaching any other age. If I just stick to that age am I likely to, realistically, get much work? Thanks in advance.

2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Day to day, probably not. EY can cover short terms absences with nursery nurses. May well pick up longer term cover for maternity leave and suchlike, though. Why not extend your range to KS1? Work will almost certainly be left for you and you will probably have LSA support. It would give you experience and boost your confidence. Good luck!

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

You should be able to teach day to day KS1 and Lower KS2 (yr 1 - 4) no problem. Remember, you will be following plans left by the regular teacher, or by another teacher from that school. If not, then just make your day up. You will soon get used to it. The worst that can happen is that a particular school will not ask for you back, but you will still get paid. However, plenty of others will have you back. Be brave. Courage and confidence at all times.

4. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

Day to day, no, I would say. I am early years trained and when I was doing daily supply I didn't get much reception cover (although I wasn't available every day). As others have said, plans should be left and unless it's a 1 form entry school there will be others teachers in that year group to help you.I know it might sound daunting but you will be fine. I always said I wouldn't do above yr 2 and was always bleating to my consultant about how I didn't like teaching the older ones:D I ended up doing a job share for a term with a yr 3 class and I'm really glad I did as I learnt so much. You will be fine, as has been said, be brave:).In the beginning especially you can't afford to be picky , you will soon be forgotten if you keep turning down jobs based on the age of the kids. You can obviously express a preference and play to your strengths but its important that you get into schools initially.Once your in there you can start chatting about your experience and availability and if they like you they will ask for you again:).

pepper5 likes this.
  5. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

I would consider TA work as well if you really wanted to stay in early years. I took a TA job, long term sickness, lasted 6 months. It was at a lower rate, think I was getting 70 quid a day but I was working and it lead to a 1 yr job as a reception teacher at the same school! I always wanted to be a PPA teacher/intervention teacher (what I am doing now) and to be a PPA teacher now most schools like you to cover across both key stages. That is what motivated me to do nursery/reception/Yr 1/Yr 2 and a little stint in Yr3:).Still wouldn't want to do KS2 but I'm o.k in the role I am in for the minute.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I think if you say you'd like to teach KS1 and FS you might get enough work, as long as you were willing to do long term as well as day to day supply.
    But - as the guys have already said - if you only want to do short term supply, you've probably got to teach the whole primary age range, or you won't get enough work.

pepper5 likes this.