1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

foundation stage sports day ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sunshinesarah, May 20, 2007.

1. sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah New commenter

I cannot believe that it is time to plan sports day again. I am planning races for children in the foundation stage and was wondering if anyone had some ideas for races, rather than doing the same old ones. Thanking you in advance.

2. sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah New commenter

I cannot believe that it is time to plan sports day again. I am planning races for children in the foundation stage and was wondering if anyone had some ideas for races, rather than doing the same old ones. Thanking you in advance.

3. same problem here I also have to think of some new ideas because this year I have a child that is unsteady and can't bend his legs or run.(muscular dystrophy) Any inclusive ideas anyone?? Thought maybe some throwing target games or maybe walk to a box and put a hat on or cloak or something funny and come back but I think able children will run!! All jumping and hopping and balancing ideas wont work this year its soooo hard to meet all needs in all areas isn't it. Any ideas ??

4. we actually joined in with the whole primary school sports day last year adn it was so funny. ALl the year 6 kids trying to tell us what we had to do at each station and they would give us points.....well it ended up we got to each station i made up new rules adn there was no winners or losers just having fun. We just did a race for reception and nursey for the parents sake!!! All go thte same stickers though. Sorry not really much help I know

5. Throwing target games sound good, how about a steady walking game with a bean bag on their head - they have to walk carefully to hold it on their head without it falling off; would hopefully stop the running

6. sorry just realised you said s/he was unsteady - maybe not best idea then. How about throwing a basketball into a hoop? an obstacle course with cones to weave around, tyres to step in, etc? or rolling race - where they lay on their side and roll to finish line?

7. thanks for good ideas.... lots to think about

8. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

we do the old fashioned classics
    egg and spoon
    sack race
    beanbag on head
    flat race
    obstacle course

all the parents and granparents all love the fact that it is an old fashioned sports day. I think it is good to keep some of our traditions.

We dont have first, second or third, just as well cos we have cheats........haha
    everyone is a winner, and mums and dads get to do the egg and spoon and flat race as well.