1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation Stage Risk Assessments

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Wotworklifebalance, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Hi All
    I teach a class of Reception - Year 2 children at a small village primary in Norfolk. I took over the class last September and spent last year trying to keep my head above water and getting to grips with planning for the 3 year groups/2 phases.
    Although I have been teaching since Noah was in short trousers I have moved from job to job (short term contracts) and spent much of the last 5 years teaching on supply across the primary age range. While this has given me a great breadth of experience I keep finding huge gaps in my knowledge. The current worry is Foundation Stage Risk Assessments.
    My school has had what is probably best descibed as a chequered past. When I joined I found no effective record keeping, planning etc. I have managed to put most of what I need in place over the past year but risk assessments keep looming. Obviously we have school policies for safe-guarding, educational visits etc. but I know that there is a holy grail of FS risk assessemnts and that schools can be "put in a category" if these aren't up to scratch. My LA doesn't seem to have anything useful and I'd really rather not spend too much more of my summer holiday trying to re-invent the wheel so would be very grateful for help and advice.
    What do I need to have in place? An EYFS self-assessment that I have found says simply

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:6.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Trebuchet MS","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:"Trebuchet MS";
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:"Trebuchet MS";
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

"The premises, both indoors and outdoors, must be safe and
    secure."
    Well ... der, I thought that we'd just swing from the bare wires of the light fittings! What do I need to do to show that my class and outdoor play area are safe and secure? Surely the security of the school premises and signing in-out procedures are the responsibility of the HT? We have made changes here and I am confident that they are up to scratch but do I need to put anything in my risk assessment about them? Do I need to risk assess every activity that we do ... play dough, role play area, sand tray ...
    All advice very welcome.
    Emma

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

My advice to you.....breathe!!
    Your school sounds very similar to mine and we had an Ofsted visit in May and they were very happy with what we had in place, so hope this helps. We have a laminated outdoors risk assessment on a clipboard hanging in the corridoor just by the door and either myself or my TA goes out just before they children are let loose and we tick the items to show that we've assessed the risk and found the area safe. As far as the indoors is concerned, as long as you haven't got anything obviously dangerous lying around I can't see there's a problem.
    We have risk assessments for when we take the children out on trips (even just to the school field) and they're pretty standard and simple.
    I can send you our outdoor RA if you'd like - we adapted it from one on the internet but I can't remember where!
    HTH

3. Wotworklifebalance

Thanks. Sometimes you do need to be reminded to get a bit of perspective ... but a bit of research on t'internet makes you think that everyone else knows exactly what they are doing and are doing it far better than you! (I won't even mention my paranoia about my profiles - there are people out there making their profiles gorgeous with scrap booking ideas otherrs are putting all of their profile evidence in an electronic format so that parents can log inthroughout the year to check observations etc. OMG)
    I'd be very grateful for a copy of your outdoor risk assessment my address is
    emma.okelly@googlemail.com
    Ta emma
    PS I'm sure there are people out there who have risk assessments for every activity.

4. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Hi
    I had a local authority mini inspection earlier this year, and they asked to see activity risk assessments - eg for each classroom area, particularly sand, water and messy area, as well as general indoor and outdoor areas.
    As I have been fire fighting in a new premises not really designed for EYFS, I am still to sort the risk assessments. (Obviously I do when off the school premises). Email: RaynerKM@aol.com
    Thanks in anticipation xx

5. Wotworklifebalance

See. The world has gone mad. Has a child ever drowned in a water tray?
    Yes, there are risks. Yes, some-one might squirt water at them, yes their jumper might get wet (even if they are wearing an apron), yes, they might get bopped on the head if you have lengths of gutte. I'll risk assess all of these. I'll tell them to play nicely and talk about what that means and what will happen if they don't. Do I really need another b$$$$$ piece of paper? NO!
    I swear that Tesco looks more appealing by the day.

6. You both have mail!
    Hope this is useful.
    edw

7. Please could I also have a copy of how you carry out your risk assessments. I get my TA to check the outdoor area, particularly the planters in case glass but don't record it down.
    sssecrets4@gmail.com

Thanks

8. Twinkles
    Can I be cheeky and ask for a copy of your outdoor risk assessment, much apprieciated

rachjsmith@btinternet.com

thanksx

9. Me too please! sonicwaffle @ hotmail.co.uk :) Thanks!

10. wonder if you could share your outdoor risk assessment with me too

jane.lemarie@yahoo.co.uk
    I have EYFS risk assessments as part of te SDP for next year and have to say I am a little overcome by how much it appears to involve - anyonve any they use or want to share the job with me?

11. Sorry to ask but could I have one too.Thanks.
    cally102@hotmail.co.uk

12. Could I be cheeky and jump on thebandwagon too?
    carl_hitchens@hotmail.com

13. Hi Twinkles,
    Please can I have a look as it sounds like just what I need?
    Many thanks x

14. Hi this job has been on my to do list for a while but just keeps getting moved to the next one!!!
    would love to look at yours please
    rebeccajohnson_2001@yahoo.co.uk

15. Hiya Twinkles
    Please could I have a look at your outdoor risk assessment? We have just developed our outdoors and not sure how often or what needs to be on there!
    Thank you very much

skurnatowski@hotmail.co.uk

16. Could i be cheeky and take a look also?

many thanks

colette.walsh@talk21.com