1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation Phase in Wales

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by mrssweet, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Hi, My apologies at sounding ignorant but I am applying for a Primary job in Wales and having only taught in England I want to find out a little bit more about the differences in planning/assessment in KS1/Foundation. I have had a look at Welsh Government website and read through documents etc but am looking for a summary of the main differences (if any) between planning/ assessment etc in English and Welsh schools. I am a Reception/KS1 teacher.
    Would any kind soul or souls be able to help me out with this one?
    Thank you!

2. There are no formal assessments (SATs) at the end of the Foundation Phase in Wales and Key Stage 1 no longer exists as the Foundation Phase continues until the end of Year 2. Assessment is ongoing and teachers are expected to collate evidence in order to give a Foundation Phase Outcome at the end of Year 2. An outcome 5 is broadly the same as a Welsh National Curriculum Level 2.
    My planning includes long-term continuous provision plans, medium term plans and short-term focus task plans. I also do an enhanced provision plan each week which contains the things we put in the provision areas for the children to access in order to consolidate the skills we have taught in focus tasks.
    I hope this helps a little.