1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation phase class sizes in wales

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cathyj135, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Hi I have 29 children in my class and 2 assistants. Can anyone tell me if the ratio of 1:8 in FS means that over 24 there should be 4 staff or is that only when you reach 32??? Thanks

2. I have 9 nursery in one room with an assistant and 19 R , yr1 and yr 2 with myself and another assistant so I suppose from what youre saying I should split reception so that there are13 in nursery and recetion with 2 assistants and the other 15 with just me????

3. Infant classes (i.e. those where the majority of children will reach the age of 5, 6, or 7 during the school year) must not contain more than 30 pupils with a single school teacher.

It would appear that as the majority of your children reach 5 during this school year, then the limit of 30 would apply. However, have any of your children been admitted under the following exceptions:

The class size legislation makes allowance for the entry of an additional child in very limited circumstances where not to admit the child would be prejudicial to his or her interests (‘excepted pupils’). However, every effort must be made to keep over large classes to a minimum. These circumstances are where:
    a) children with statements of special educational needs are admitted to the school outside the normal admissions round;
    b) children move into the area outside the normal admissions round for whom there is no other available school within reasonable distance (admission authorities must check with local authorities before determining that a child falls into this category);
    c) children admitted, after initial allocation of places on the local offer date, because the person responsible for making the original decision recognises that an error was made in implementing the school’s admission arrangements and that a place ought to have been offered;
    d) children in care admitted outside the normal admissions round;
    e) children admitted where an independent appeal panel upholds an appeal on the grounds that the child would have been offered a place if the admission arrangements had been properly implemented, and/or the admission authority’s decision to refuse a place was not one which a reasonable admission authority would have made in the circumstances of the case;
    f) children are registered pupils at special schools and by arrangement with another school which is not a special school, receive part of their education at that other school;
    g) children with special education needs who are registered pupils at a school which is not a special school and are normally educated in a special educational needs unit attached to that school, and attend, an infant class in the school (i.e. not in the unit), where this has been deemed as beneficial to the child.
    2.64 Except in the case of f) and g), the child will remain an exception for any time they spend in an infant class at the mainstream school or outside the special educational needs unit. In all other circumstances the child will only remain an exception for the remainder of the school year in which they were admitted. Measures must be taken for the following year to ensure that the class falls within the infant class size limit.

4. Sorry, I just realised you were asking about how many TAs were required, and not whether the class limit rule applied.

29 children with one teacher and two TAs is a good ratio, compared to some I have heard about.