1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation Phase Child Development Profile Assessment

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by magicstar29, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Can anyone please help me. In the new profile assessment if a child has secured:
    (1a, 1b, 1c)
    (2b, 2c)
    (3a, 3b, 3c)
    but not 2a, are they level 1 or 3?

Thanks

2. Hi,
    Can anyone please help me. In the new profile assessment if a child has secured:
    (1a, 1b, 1c)
    (2b, 2c)
    (3a, 3b, 3c)
    but not 2a, are they level 1 or 3?

Thanks

3. I've always been told it's best fit, so if they've secured 3a, 3b, 3c then they're a level 3 - whether it's right or not, that's what I've done.

I've had the same problem as you, have a moderation meeting on the profile next week so will be asking the FP advisor about this again.

Good luck...I'm well and truly fed up with it by now!

4. Our LEA has told us in no uncertain terms that even though this is best fit, err on the side of caution. We hvae been told that a child must achieve all assessments in the step to be awarded it, otherwise you must award the previous step.

5. Thanks for your replies, Biliboi - would you give this child level 1 then because he can't do 2a or level 3 because he is secure across all of 3?

6. Which Area of Development is it?

7. I am not sure - it is a colleagues child not mine.

8. As the child hasn't got 2a you got back to the last completed step. So in this case step 1. But you still have a week to assess so depending on the area you may still see the child achieve 2a! Hope that helps!

9. I would also say step 1. But also, our LEA has told us not to continually assess, if they cannot achieve the 2a on the day to assess it, then not to award it.

10. They are called steps not levels to avoid confusion with old KS1 levels! The reason we assess over the 6 weeks is to allow the child an opportunity to acheive the step while in the setting. It may be at the end of the 6 weeks before the child can do something or is observed doing something!

11. Just a though: what worries me then is that I might be observing something that the child has learnt since starting school and therefore it won't be an on-entry assessment. If you wait the whole 6 weeks to see if a child achieves the step then they probably will show progress. If we're observing all the time when are we actually teaching? Maybe it's just me that finds this difficult as I have such a big class.

Just had an advice note through saying that we must only award the step if they achieve all three descriptions. So you should say the child is on step 1 not step 3...still seems wrong. ...and I need to get my tippex out :-(

12. Didn't realise the old baseline was used to predict end of KS levels?

13. Finished!
    Not sure what's going to happen with them now though! Data will be input onto county records but then what?

Can't wait to be able to teach properly on Monday!

14. Its a lovely feeling isnt it! Although our moderator said she doesn't know yet whether the LEA will be collecting this information (for current N2 and R). Hope they will otherwise it was a total waste of time!

15. Think I'm going to put a dampner on your half term... the data won't be collected until the summer term [​IMG]
    With regards to best-fit I have been told by lead FP advisor that it is NOT best-fit and the child must complete every descriptor to achieve the whole step!
    My N and R staff have completed their profiles now and on feed-back feel it has been a complete waste of time and can't wait to begin teaching properly after half term.

16. Yes we were also told every description had to be securely met in order to achieve the step. Even though the words best fit are used in the guidance.
    I took part in the pilot for this CDAP a few years ago, and our feedback was that it was a waste of time and that WAG would be better off producing detailed guidelines on how to achieve the outcomes. This was ignored!

17. Hi,

I have an interview for PGCE Foundation in to weeks and we have to do a five minute presentation on an area of Primary Ed that is currently topical and outline how this may have impacted positively and / or negatively upon learning and teaching. I have chosen to do the CDAP. I am required to make reference to recent educational research and pertinent literature. You mentioned a pilot study and I wondered if this was ever published and where I might find it?!

Also any other advice and guidance will be very well received!