1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

foundation interview advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by micketh, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Are there any ideas about this?

2. ggsh

ggsh New commenter

http://www.foundation-stage.info/ - this site has a forum - maybe they might be able to shed more light on it...
    In my personal experience continuous provision constitutes letting the children choose their own activities and staff intervening in their play appropriately to extend ideas and skills. Or, staff to use continuous provision for observation purposes. If staff are teaching children planned activities, that's a focused task and not technically continuous provision. If the area of choice has resources in it that the children have learned to do/use in a focused task, that's enhanced provision.

3. Thank you for taking the time. I have looked on the website that you have suggested, the only problem is that you need to pay a subscription in order to post. Thanks for your opinions though. I am really confused in how the paragraph has been worded... in saying 'run a 30 minute learning through play activity' implicates an element of direct teaching followed by a play-based activity.. but then would this be part of continuous provision...arrrrrgh!!!!

4. ggsh

ggsh New commenter

Are they nursery/reception children? How many do you have to teach - what is happening to the other children in the setting? Ie - are they giving you a keyworker group within the setting, or in another room?
    Just thinking about it myself - you are going to need to make a decision and go with it, and hope it's what they're looking for! If it's a group of children within the setting you could do an activity around small world provision and identify and build on various skills. It would be like a focused activity but don't really see any way around it. Afterwards, if the children or some of them chose to still engage in the activity you could 'play' alongside them intervening and observing as you saw fit. This would show the panel that you can plan teacher-led tasks and also manage continuous provision.
    For eg, if you chose farm animals you could spend time identifying the animals, sorting them into 'fieilds'; counting how many of each, planning a route for the farmer to feed them; build a barn for them when it is raining with the blocks (to keep them going for all that time)... It seems you might need to plan quite a scenario - 30 mins is a long time to 'teach' little ones. But then you would only identify one or two learning objectives out of possibly many...
    Do you have previous placements/schools you can ask for advice?

5. The setting is a mixed FS1/2 foundation unit. There is no information on number of children to teach or what will happen to the others, although you would assume they would be part of the continuous provision activities. Do you think I should ask the school for the number of children perhaps? The letter indicates that the activity will take place within the unit space, within continuous provision...
    I was thinking of building my scenario around 'Billy's Bucket' or possibly 'Rainbow Fish'.. this would involve (billy's bucket) direct teaching with the text to begin, then an idea of having play buckets, made magical with sequins and glitter within water... placing sea life objects around embedded within sand for the children to explore and place in their buckets... then a big bucket outline for the chn to draw their chosen object(s) onto, and what they are imagining the creatures are doing in their magic buckets... please criticise/comment... thank you!!!

6. ggsh

ggsh New commenter

Yes - it sounds good! I think with a 1/2 class you might be teaching them all??? Perhaps you should try to find out because depending on how many children that might mean a lot of resources to aquire! If it is the whole class, I would think you would be best to do the follow up activity with some and as for the other children - perhaps let some access the continuous provision within the classroom and have a more independent activity for others - linked to the focus - such as the activities you are planning - observational drawing of the creatures; sorting/ordering. However, for 1/2 the children will have longer attention spans, so your input will indeed be more detailed. Both books are fab and the children should respond really well to either of them!

7. Thanks again for this!