1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation Degree

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hubcap, Jun 10, 2008.

1. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi how are you all doing?
    Im enjoying the course , its all very interesting!
    Only problem is as I took less hours to do the course I am feeling frustrated as I took a lower role as well. Als ohearing rumours that HLTAs, cover supervisors, LSAs are to take more of a teaching role in the future. Wondering whether to finish this at level4. Your thoughts please.

2. I did my foundation degree and subsequent conversion to BA hons + QTS through Edge Hill. I have now been teaching for 3 and 1/2 years. I thought Edgehill was great. I was well supported and was taught by some excellent tutors.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

from the CWDC site
    Certificate of Education and Bachelor of Education and PGCE and QTS

The teaching qualifications listed above are appropriate to be counted in the qualified staff ratio at level 6

4. Hi Hubcap/all
    I'm enjoying the foundation degree, though I am finding the first module of our course a little frustrating, as it is essentially the HLTA process, which I've already done. The assignments are worded as if you haven't already got HLTA though, and they are strictly word-counted, so it's difficult to complete them as you need to do an action plan for the future, building up to HLTA competencies, which if you already have the status is a bit tough! There's only so many times I can claim that I'm 'consolidating my existing competencies'! The background reading is very interesting though, but I am looking forward to getting onto the next module. I guess it depends on the way your actual course is set out, but it would be very easy to do the HLTA alongside the one that I am doing.
    Good luck!

5. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi
    Yes Im finding a lot of it very dajavu if you know what I mean...zzzzzzzzzzz. Anyway I suppose we will have to bear with it to get the qualification we need! Im not doing the HLTA course, as adverts for HLTAs in my region are begining to state- HLTA or level 4 qualified!
    Hope everyone doing ok with the course!x

6. Hi everyone,
    Extremely interesting reading. I am a level 3 TA in a primary school (NVQ gained in 2004), I am in my second year of foundation degree in classroom support and just about to apply to top up my degree to BA Hons starting next September. I work full time as a TA and attend a local college which provides the Oxford Brookes foundation degree. I attend 1 night a week from 4pm till 9pm and I am also going to college a second night a week 7pm till 9pm to do Maths GCSE. I am nearly 47 years old and have two children, a 14 year old girl and a 10 year old boy. Why am I doing this to myself??? Well because I love my job and I wanted to be sure that I was providing the support that our children so deserve. I also wanted to keep the old grey matter working and active and believe me, the foundation degree certainly does that!!! It is hard work finding the time to fit it all in and to meet deadlines for assignments but the transfer of skills into the classroom is priceless. I hope to do RTP when I have my full degree and become a teacher but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't matter. The extra money would be nice and would give me a better pension but step at a time, still got to think about the family!!!!
    Good luck to everyone who is embarking on foundation degree, I will keep coming back to check how you are doing. xxx

7. Hi hubcap, been following your post and think I can answer your query. RTP is Registered Teaching Programme, in order to qualify for this, you need 240 credits or a foundation degree, be working as an unqulaified teacher. You apply through your local education authority. There are not many places but it if you are accepted you can gain QTS
    The BA honours is what you do after your foundation degree, it can be part time and after completing this you are able to apply for a PGCE which is normally a full time course or you may be able to combine your BA honours course with a Primary Education Progression Route(PEPR ) which then leads to QTS and all you then have to do is apply for a job as an NQT!!
    Hope this answers your query
    Good Luck

8. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Thanks for that, but I am still a bit confused[​IMG] A friend os mine has gone to Edge Hill to do her training after the foundation degree another is doing BA part time after her foundation degree. If I want to be a teacher what course do I do after the foundation degree? D I do the BA then another year doing pgce?

9. Hello,

I have started a foundation degree in teaching studies, just started September. The route I am planning to take includes the foundation degree for two years, I am released one day a week for this. I then plan to follow this with a BA honours in teaching studies, hopefully one year with one day release and not two days release as is currently in existence.

Following this I will complete a GTP (Graduate Teaching Programme) for one year. This all means that I can study and work at the same time. Fingers crossed that I am accepted of course!

The other alternative if you don't want to get a full degree or in other words a BA is to complete the foundation degree which is 240 points and then move on to the Registered Teacher Training Programme (RTP or RTTP same thing) This like the GTP is on the job training but runs for two years. In total four years is the minimum time you can take to get into teaching if you don't already have a degree. But not many schools seem to run this programme where I am based.

A friend of mine is doing the PGCE at Herts but through distance learning, which means she can work and complete her training. She already has a degree, it will take her 20 months or so.

I think a full degree is always the best option, then you have choices. You may decide you want to pursue something other role in education and the full BA honours may be a better bet.

10. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Thank you NM35, now I understand.[​IMG]

11. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Sorry , I mean that they are being used more instead of supply.
    I have decided to apply for a level 3 perminent job that is going at the school that I am at. The foundation degree is ok but I know now that I would rather work in SEN. If I dont get it I will just carry on till I get level 4.

12. Hi, the route I have followed is foundation degree ( 1 day x 3 yrs) then bridged onto final yr of the 3 yr BA (hons) Education studies with QTS. Total training time = 4 yrs. Love the route and joining the group in their third and final year has worked out fine.

13. Hi - been following the thread with interest. I am halfway through my first year on the Foundation Degree in Supporting Teaching and Learning through Edge Hill but in Coventry. Its going well so far - lots of work and reading but so far so good. I am also about to go on the Pre-prep for HLTA on Friday although i only work officially half a day a week (I volunteer for the rest of it). I have just applied for another job part time at a nother school.
    I also have 4 children, so time is of a premium but it will be worth it in the end. I have been reading about progression and there seems to be quite a lot of confusion. I have read that once you have your foundation degree you can do a part time QTS (for me that will be 100 miles away in Shrewsbury but only one day a week) at the same time as being on the Registered Teacher Programme (RTP). This only takes 3 years then and is a quicker way into teaching.
    I also read about the science qualifiaction. At the moment science is only required for secondary school, not primary teaching. Its pretty much the same as HLTA really. (Needing level 2 in English and Maths).
    Anyway, hopefully those of us doing the degree will get something useful out of it - resource sharing o here would be a good idea though.
    Anyone doing the same course as me there is a book available:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1844452034/ref=oss_product which is really useful.

14. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Oh my gosh! I have just been to a meeting for HLTA and apparentley your evidence can only be 12 months old!!! and thats when you hand your file in! All the preparation in the foundation degree is useless!!! Also somone said to me that a STAC, is the same level as HLTA so why am i bothering going to do HLTA?
    Can anyone shed any light on this as will be finishing my first year in foundation degree soon so will have my STAC.

15. Hey
    If you want to learn and I mean REALLY LEARN go through the Open University whereever possible! I did and must say that I learned tonnes. Open University material is no dubbed down!!
    Oh and don't forget you can pass the material on afterward >> I know their are alwasy people on
    e-bay buying it to get ahead with their studies