1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation Degree

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hubcap, Jun 10, 2008.

1. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

thanks, The final decision will come on thursday when I have my interview for a job that will give me tme off for the foundation degree.

2. hope you managed to get the job with possibility of undertaking foundation degree. I too began that way and have just graduated with a BA in Education Studies. I have a GTP place for this September and I am the grand old age of 40!!
    Without the foundation degree starting me off on this course I would not be about to do my ITT and consider it very worthwhile. Even without topping up, the course is relevant if you merely wish to stay in role, as you are able to examine areas of your practice, transfer theories into practice in yr. setting and become far more knowledgeable about education generally and pupil learning.

3. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I am 42 ! gulp
    I did get the job and am now looking forward to my interview for the foundation degree. I have level 3 in childrens care, learning and Education and English GCSE A-c, but am doing Numeracy at the moment, so hope they will accept me on that!
    Did you do the foundation degree in learning and support in Primary? Do you have to go to uni for your tt?

4. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

sorry- childrens care, learning and development

5. Hi,
    the actual title of my Foundation Degree was, Teaching Studies. This included modules such as: how pupils learn, behaviour management, planning and assessment, special needs as well as modules designed to improve subject knowledge in core subjects of maths, english and science. We attended University one day each week and had two lectures, one in morning and one in afternoon. It was spread over a two year period and we were able to top up to a full BA Hons with a final year. There was lots and lots of work to do at home each week and approximately three assessed assignments per module (we studied two modules simultaneously each term). The types of assignments included presentations, reports, and essays.
    Was yr. question regarding tt, talking about teacher training? If so, I am doing my teacher training as a GTP which involves working full-time in school with release days to Uni (I think this will be one day per fortnight).
    Well done for getting job. I also have a family and worked as a TA part time whilst completing degree - it really can be done and in some ways sets you up for how it will be when you are actually teaching!

6. Hi there!
    Have followed your posts about the Foundation Degree with interest as I am following a similar path! Wanted to say good luck with your interview.
    I'm a Ta covering PPA time in a Primary school, half a day a week in each class - from nursery to Year 6. I completed NVQ and BTEC Level 3 last summer and have just finished the HLTA assesment too, I figured I would jump straight back in and have applied to a local college to do Foundation Degree in Learning Support (Primary) starting in Sept. Luckily it won't affect my working hours as it will be Tuesdays 4-8pm for 2 years. I plant to continue to become a teacher......if all goes well, it seems too far away at the mo!
    Anyway, hope you do well at your interview, good luck in September.

7. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi
    Nice to hear from you. We'll have to keep each other posted!
    I've got my interview at college on 18th August..Good luck witth yours!

8. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Well, had my interview now just waiting for the nod to enrol!

9. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi
    Anyone else starting the foundation degree in Sept? I am and was wondering if you want to chat as you go along the course.

10. Ive got a friend who is doing a Fe this sep. ill let her know about this post.[​IMG]

11. I am starting a Foundation Degree in Supporting Teaching and Learning this September. Doing it through Edge Hill taking the flexible route

12. Hi Hubcap, count me in, less than a week left of relaxing evenings in front of the tv!!!!!
    Helen

13. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Ha ha, yes me too! Enrolement evening next week then its all go! Looking forward to it though!
    Christine

14. Hi I am starting my Foundation degree in early years tomorrow! I work as a level 2 in a primary school so will be doing the course part time every Wed night 5-9pm. I know its not gonna be plain sailing but hope to get alot from it due to most of my work being with 6-7 yr olds and SEN groups also.
    Hope we can keep in touch
    Hazel x

15. I'm in my final year of Foundation degree in Early Years with the Open University. I have loved it so far, especially not having to go to lectures as I'm working as a TA and have a young family so time is precious. I'm slightly peeved however that they have just introduced the supproting teaching which would be so much better in my role as I work mainly with a year 6 1-1. My head asked me what I wanted to do when I finished but to be completelty honest I don't know! Is there anyone out there who has completed the Early Years Degree and found it helped them gain a Hlta role?

16. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Your head could put you forward for the HLTA . It is not age ranged is it? Im sure the fact that you have done a foundation degree will help you, even if it is in Early years. Have a look at the HLTA standards and see if you think you could meet them all. Look on the TDA website. Good Luck.

17. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Well,started last week and feeling good- how is yours going?

18. Hi, I've just started a Foundation Degree in Education, a three year course. I work as a HLTA/cover supervisor for a primary school, full school-time hours, and also have three primary aged children of my own. I'm quite excited about doing the degree, and I want to top it up to a full BA when I've finished, but I have to admit that now I've started, I am slightly terrified! My biggest worry is actually fitting everything in as I cannot have any release time from work, and am at college one evening a week, as well as all my family commitments. I'm really pleased to find this forum, and hope to hear how you're all getting on with your courses.

19. Hi I too have started a foundation degree in eraly years. I seem to go through mixed emotions each week. At the moment I am trying to get my head around my first essay which is about nature v nurture. I too have a young family and work committments, but so far so good. Good luck to everone else.

20. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Welcome to everyone! I have just recieved all the books I'll need, it feels like Im on the teacher training bit already!!!! Loving it though! Im going to ask my head if I can do the HLTA alongside.
    Good luck everyone!