1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Foundation Degree

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hubcap, Jun 10, 2008.

  1. Hubcap

    Biology GCSE C and above is fine, as is Physics, Chemistry and Combined Sciences, most Universities won't accept Human Biology. The old CSE is fine as well, but only if it Grade 1. Universities can also specify what type of Science qualification they want as well, checked into this last year before I started my Science GCSE. Some do accept equivalency tests but they are not always transferrable so may only apply for that specific university. The university I want to apply for has stopped equivalency testing so it is worth ringing round to check.
    Science wasn't my strong point either, but if you go for the foundation paper and aim for the C grade it isn't too bad!
    The GCSE I'm doing is multiple choice, you sit the exams at different times of the year and you get chances to retake them if you don't pass them first time around.
    I did however find it hard to find a course because I was an adult, there were loads for English and Maths but hardly any for Science, the majority were for school leavers. I looked into distance learning and a private tutor as well but decided to go to night school because I wanted the ongoing tutor support.
    I've juggled it and I've found the Science more difficult than my degree, probably because I have to do the Science and I want to do the degree!!
    I'd advise you to look into all your options and make a few phonecalls.
    Good luck!
  2. CurlyShirley, can you just confirm the exact title of the GCSE Science course that you are taking please? I want to make sure I do the right one!
    Thanks. xx
  3. hubcap

    hubcap New commenter

    Thanks CS, Im going to see a man at college about it all on Monday, so I will be a bit wiser then.
  4. Hi,
    Have you thought about the RTP? Have a look on the TDA website as this is a possible route from a foundation degree. I think you need 240 CATS to qualify for RTP which is what Foundation will give it neds to be a qualifying foundation subject though (I know the integrated practice one does not apply). Also as a point of interest Edge Hill do a part time degree BA Primary Education with QTS, it runs for 4 years (one full day and one evening a week) for the bargain price of £625 a year. Could be a possible (cheaper) alternative if you definitely want to go into teaching.
    Good Luck !:)
  5. hubcap

    hubcap New commenter

    Thanks. There are so many routes, Im confused!
    I am going to do the 3 year foundation degree at my college then do the PGCE part time over two years as I still have to work and have my daughter to work round.
  6. hubcap, yes it is confusing! Just a point though, after you do the Foundation Degree you need to then top it up to a full degree before you can get on the PGCE course as that is degree entry. The way round this is to top it up WITH QTS. If you do the former then topping up will take one to two years minimum. Hope that helps.

    I found that speaking to the people who run the courses really helpful. They are used to speaking to confused people!
  7. hubcap

    hubcap New commenter

    hee hee, yes and Im confused!
    Where do you do the QTS?
    So overall its going to take me up to 6 years?
  8. No it isn't six years.

    Foundation Degree 2 years part-time, plus one term in the third year. Two/three terms to prepare portfolio (equals three years) for applying for full degree (with QTS) then full degree with QTS one year, equals four years.

    Not to confuse you further, these timings are personal. Some people take three years for the Foundation Degree, some take two years to top up.

    QTS (Qualified Teacher Status - sorry if you know that already) is achieved at University, along with your full degree as per usual.

    Hope this helps. Here is a link for you to follow which tells you the routes into teaching, as you may find something more suited to you.

  9. hubcap

    hubcap New commenter

    Im going to struggle going to a university, as I will have to work round my job and family. Is there any other route anyone has taken for QTS?
  10. All I can say is that a lot of people do it. My daughter is at uni at the moment and she does a two and a half day week! Ok she doesn't have kids or commitments, but hey she seems to find time to go out every night and the hangovers don't seem to interfere with her work (what work she does). At least you won't be spending any student loans on drink, fags and shoes. All in all they seem to be having a very jolly, social time in their nice flat in the centre of Liverpool.

    Better change the subject! ARGGGHHHH!

    I know other mature students who are working and at uni. One girl runs her own beauty business three days a week and is studying psychology, she has a lot of responsibility. A lot of kids also have part-time jobs and go to uni.

    Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. My advice would be just to take one step at a time. I was like you about ten years ago. I was volunteering at my kid's school and the deputy tried to talk me into going into teaching but I just bottled it and worried too much about it all. I regret that now. It is easier now than it was then, much more flexible. These days I just don't think that far ahead. All I am concentrating on at the moment is starting the FD and I'm looking forward to that. If for some reason it all goes pear-shaped and I don't make it then so be it. All you can do is take it in small steps.
  11. And don't forget we at least get long holidays and you can fit in lots of work then.
  12. hubcap

    hubcap New commenter

    Yes you're right caroline. Im quite excited about seeing the tutor tonight. I'll let you know what goes on.
  13. The Science GCSE that I am taking is AQA Science A (4461). It is mainly multiple choice - 2 x 30 min tests for each science, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and a practical test (this year mine was Chemistry based) with a written test connected to the practical.
    There were quite a lot of people on the course who were taking it to access teacher training.
    It is classed as a refresher course so obviously isn't as in depth as starting from scratch!
    I'm a mature student and haven't studied science since I left school in the 80's but it's surprising how much you remember.
    Hope your meeting goes well hubcap and hopes this helps carolinewirral
  14. Thanks Curly, that's great. I can have a look at my local college now for the right course.
    Good luck tonight Hubcap!
  15. hubcap

    hubcap New commenter

    Well what a turn of events!
    I work a a 1-1 at a school at the moment, I am a qualified nursery nurse.
    Anyway the head asked me today if I fancied doing some SEN work next year, taking small groups out. This is omething I've always wanted to do. to get more involved in SEN. I was pleased as punch!!
    Then we got to the meeting about the Foundation Degree and to be honest, he didnt impress us. I asked what we could do when we finished the degree if we didnt want to go into teaching and he listed all the proffesions that we can already do as level 3s...ok... what about teaching? then he went on to say we might not get funding as sure start have no
    money left.Then he said the last year we would have to go to university four days a week in another county and thats if we got accepted. It certainly did not fill me with enthusiasm! So Im going to stick with progression in special needs! But thank you and good luck ladies.
  16. hubcap

    hubcap New commenter

    Cant believe that I found this thread again after 12 months!!
    Well, here goes. The child I have been working 1-1 with is leaving this year so I have been offered redeployment with another child. Although I DID SEN groups this year, the head wont let me do them because they dont want to split staff for the child. I understand their predicament but I am dissapointed. I loved SEN groupwork. So to cut a long story short I have said that I am goinjg to college to get my level 4 so I cant do full time. I dont know if they will offer me anything else. I told them I want progression. So HERE I go again. I have applied to the college and the ball is rolling. Just wondered if any of you are still doing it.
  17. rolls

    rolls Occasional commenter

    I run a foundation degree course and was confused by the tutor who said you would have to do four days a week in your final year. If by this he meant your teaching qualification year then you could always apply for GTP - this is school based and you have to be paid as an unqualified teacher during your training. Was this a foundation degree in education or an early years foundation degree? I think it might have been the latter due to your reference to sure start and explains why GTP would not be available to you. Most foundation degree students fund themselves but you can get a student loan.You will still need to be working in a school to take a foundation degree, most foundation degrees ask you to attend college for one day a week.
    However, I would also challenge the head's belief that they should have only one person working with this particular child. In my view this is bad practice and likely to lead to dependence. I would suggest that all children with acute needs should work with at least two support staff so that cover is not difficult to arrange.
  18. hubcap

    hubcap New commenter

    Teaching and learning support- Primary is the course I am going to do and I can do voluntary in a school one day a week if not employed. A lady at our school is doing it. Its nice to hear that I could do GTP, it useful to know.
    We had children who were split and it hasnt worked out so well, so the senco doesnt want it to happen again. Im just a bit narked that although I have been offered deployment, because of my course I cannot accept it, as I cant have time off to go. Although there are going to be other vacancies going up, I will have to apply for them like anyone else. Bit cheeky when I am progressing for the school I think!
    I would only be attending college 2 -7pm one day a week!
  19. If you are already working in a setting (school or nursery) the the Foundation Degree is a great eye opener.
    If you are a person who likes to see the bigger picture and not just content sitting colouring as I have seen some TAs do then it is for you.
    You need to devote at least 10 -15 yours a week to paperwork at home for research and book reading as there is a lot.
    If you are passionate about your job, motivated and enthusiastic, want to learn new things about the children and yourself, put theory into practice, then do the Foundation degree. You can progress on to a Bed or BA but remembre if you want to get into teaching on the PGCE or GTP you will need olevels in maths english and science too.
    Do these while on the foundation degree as you will find it harder later on.
    Do the course for your self and your own professional development as you will find learning is adictive
  20. I completed my Foundation Degree over three years, one day a week. I took a year off and joined the final year of a BA in Education Studies. I have just graduated with a 2:1 and am looking into various teaching routes for 2010. The Foundation degree suited me perfectly ~ I already worked in a school and most of our work was practical tasks which we then wrote up. Similarly, my degree was so relevant to my job (I'm a HLTA) that I felt like I was really applying in school what I was learning at college and this helped me understand my assignments more. I think more trainee teachers should be encouraged to complete a more school based practical course to let them know how demanding teaching is.
    Good luck with your chosen route [​IMG]

Share This Page