1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

foundation degree route- will this act against me in employment?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by louise1202, Jan 21, 2011.

1. louise1202

louise1202 New commenter

I am currently studying on a Foundation Degree in Education and will complete a third year 'top up' to gain a BA in Primary Education with QTS. So, at the end of the third year I will be 'free' to find myself a placement as an NQT. However, I was concerned that my route into teaching is not traditional and maybe this will act against me. I have spent many years in the primary classroom as a volunteer (never employed as a teaching assistant as that wasn't 'for me'.) and it felt right that I could remain in the practical classroom getting the experience whilst fitting my Uni course around it, hence selecting the Foundation Degree with top up to BA rather than going down the straightforward BA route. But, in essence, the qualification would be the same at the end of it all as far as I can see...thanks for any advice. Would love feedback from others who have gone down this route too!

2. louise1202

louise1202 New commenter

I am currently studying on a Foundation Degree in Education and will complete a third year 'top up' to gain a BA in Primary Education with QTS. So, at the end of the third year I will be 'free' to find myself a placement as an NQT. However, I was concerned that my route into teaching is not traditional and maybe this will act against me. I have spent many years in the primary classroom as a volunteer (never employed as a teaching assistant as that wasn't 'for me'.) and it felt right that I could remain in the practical classroom getting the experience whilst fitting my Uni course around it, hence selecting the Foundation Degree with top up to BA rather than going down the straightforward BA route. But, in essence, the qualification would be the same at the end of it all as far as I can see...thanks for any advice. Would love feedback from others who have gone down this route too!

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

One big disadvantage NQTs have is a relative lack of school experience. If you are able to emphasise your classroom experience on the application form then this will help you rather than hinder. Ultimately the main issue will be the availability of jobs in the primary sector in your part of the country- your travel to work area and flexibility.

4. Hi Louise1202, I did the same route as you. I found that on that final year on the BA I had a good knowledge and experience base compared with some of the other students and this had been gained through my experience on the Foundation Degree. Although I am yet to find a permanent post, I do not consider it to be my route that is hindering me, rather it is a variety of other factors! I loved my training, loved the route I followed and would recommend it to others. However, I take your point about the unconventionality of the route not always being recognised, but as Welsh Wizard says, you can emphasise your experience and make that apparant on your application forms and hopefully give yourself the edge that way. All the best and enjoy!