1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foundation assessment??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mary cahill, Mar 13, 2011.

1. My 'satisfactory' primary school is an improving one. We are working to develop a skills based curriculum in order to avoid the trap of becoming 'creative' without the development of the skills inherent to individual subjects. That is all well and good!
    My question to other teachers out there is; can this be done without having to spend many, many hours proving that those skills are being addressed by building in an assessment task for every unit and an assessment grid recording at least three skills met or not by each pupil in each subject unit throughout the year?
    We already spend so long on APP for reading, writing and maths that additional assessment tasks at the end of every single foundation unit is seen as extreme and unnecessary by most and a welcome improvement by others.
    What does your school do for foundation assessment and is your school deemed 'good' or 'outstanding'?

2. My 'satisfactory' primary school is an improving one. We are working to develop a skills based curriculum in order to avoid the trap of becoming 'creative' without the development of the skills inherent to individual subjects. That is all well and good!
    My question to other teachers out there is; can this be done without having to spend many, many hours proving that those skills are being addressed by building in an assessment task for every unit and an assessment grid recording at least three skills met or not by each pupil in each subject unit throughout the year?
    We already spend so long on APP for reading, writing and maths that additional assessment tasks at the end of every single foundation unit is seen as extreme and unnecessary by most and a welcome improvement by others.
    What does your school do for foundation assessment and is your school deemed 'good' or 'outstanding'?