1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fostering While Teaching

Discussion in 'Personal' started by studentcrisis, Oct 6, 2018.

1. studentcrisis

studentcrisis New commenter

Hello!

My partner and I have decided to seriously look into fostering with a view to being ready to do it once I’ve finished my training year. I was wondering if anyone else has fostered while teaching and how this has worked out for you if you have?

Thank you!

2. erikgrobberts

erikgrobberts New commenter

Many teachers expect good grades and school execution to be a need in the lives of the larger part of their students. However, for youngsters in child care, school isn't a need, and isn't a core interest. Rather, the principle center and need for a considerable lot of student who are set into encourage homes is that of survival; survival from moving from home to home, survival from the maltreatment and disregard they may have looked in their lives, survival from living separated from their other relatives, and survival from moving from school to school. [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm imagining that foster parents might need flexibility in their work place to accommodate meetings and emergencies, maybe on a larger scale than someone who has a family of their own. Short term emergency placements might be the hardest option to incorporate. If your partner could provide that flexibility that would be a help because you simply wont have it. You will have the huge benefit of school holidays, but then an intense work commitment during term time. This is only me imagining how it is however and social services would know. There must be info online to give you a clue of how it might work.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My gut feeling is that the demands of school are such as to make fostering difficult. having said that, a former colleague of mine is now on her second foster placement. She seems to be finding them OK. her partner isn't a teacher. Maybe that helps.
    As I said, difficult but not impossible.