1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forward thinking and iPad schools (worldwide)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by johnstoneh, Feb 11, 2018.

1. johnstoneh

johnstoneh New commenter

Hi,

Can anyone recommend their school or one they have worked in which is using apps in the classroom and is generally open to change and new ideas?
    I'm looking to relocate from Cyprus and open to suggestions. I just don't want to take a backwards step!
    Single female with 8 years experience looking for a new adventure with personal and professional growth...

Thanks

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Here's a tip for you - don't come and teach in the UK

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I have worked on 3 continents and every school has tried the iPad thing. It worked well in Primary, but in every secondary section it has crashed and burned. Ipads are fine if you want to look at stuff, but to do anything worthwhile they are useless. A laptop is far superior.....well, in my experience across 3 continents.

Look at international schools

sabrinakat and Pomza like this.
  4. allotmentlady

allotmentlady New commenter

I work at a big private school in Somerset. Every teacher must have an iPad and students aren't allowed any other device

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I heard there were a lot of apples in Somerset

phlogiston likes this.
  6. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

I've realised recently that overseas schools which do this are generally quite proud of the idea and it will be clear from job ad or website that they are an apple school or that all staff and students have ipads.
    I'm not convinced it's more than a gimmick and definitely not conviced that any benefit of ipad over cheaper device is worth the cost.

Edited to add: Just because I've got nothing better to do, I tried using 'Apple' as a keyword in the jobs search. The first school in the results had Apple in its address, but those underneath were boasting about their technical prowess. Try it.

johnstoneh likes this.
  7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

That makes me feel faintly queasy. But it works for ipad and Google as well :)

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've had a school ipad for a couple of years.

When it works it's fine...

When it works.

9. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Omg @blue451! An iPad is leagues above any other cheaper, similar device. I have two kinds in my class and the non-iPad one only gets used for photos.

iPads are amazing but they need willing teachers to plan well to get the best out of them.

Before applying, try reading the School Improvement Plans and looking for planned developments in ICT.

I don’t think you will be taking a backwards step. In fact, you have lots to offer if you are enthusiastic about driving forward iPad use. Most schools are looking for someone to do this, which suggests they want to make technological changes.

10. johnstoneh

johnstoneh New commenter

Thanks. I think I'm just so used to using apps and different sites for personalised learning in class now, I'd hate to be without them. But good idea about helping to drive others forward even if they're not quite there.

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

In decent international schools there are actual "technology integrators" and its their role within the school to lead innovation in the classroom. All the schools i have worked in this is a non teaching role, but paid at the same level as a classroom teacher. Perhaps look for those roles.
    I would take a laptop a gazillion times over any ipad at the secondary level. Sorry but i think they are terrible.... and im into all this tech stuff

12. jburke1888

jburke1888 New commenter

I know one of the largest councils in Scotland have agreed a deal with Apple which is the biggest in Europe. Every P5 - Sixth Year pupil will be given an iPad which will come with a number of educational apps. They have also consulted with secondary staff to ensure it is worthwhile for them to use. They will install new wifi and be responsible for updating and replacing all iPads, It sounds very good as Microsoft will also work via the app.

Does anyone have any experience working with Apple and going into schools? It is something I'd be interested in.