1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forum redesign announcement

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 17, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello everyone,

I am excited to announce that the TES Community will undergo a redesign as part of a series of improvements to the website.

Our aim is to make the forums simpler, cleaner, user-friendly, and make it easier for people to get to the information they need.

As a result of these changes, blogs and groups are going. These features will not be carried over to the new forum.

There are numerous groups, too many to keep track of and some people have no idea how to find them or advertise them on the forums and so they have become redundant.

We want to get rid of all the dead fora, merge some forums and keep others as they are. The Community will be reduced to 10 main forums.

Please keep in mind that we want to start off with a simple, clean and easy-to-use forum that people can easily navigate. At present, the platform is too vast and too complicated to navigate. We need to change what we have done before to encourage existing and new members to use the forum and make the Community an engaged and active one.

All of these changes are a result of the extensive feedback we have had from the Community members, and it is our desire to make the forums a safe, welcoming and user-friendly space for all professionals working and interested in the education industry.

We have listened to what people have said over the years, but the current platform makes it difficult to make the necessary improvements that are needed.

I know that change can be confusing, disconcerting, frustrating and irritating and that’s why I want to make sure that the process of the redesign and the future development of the forums is transparent.

With this in mind, I should tell you that the new forums will be introduced next term. The redesign will be a ‘work in progress’ and it will also be subject to change.

The redesign of the forum will involve a two-stage testing process. The first stage of testing will take place over the next two weeks involving a small group of users to help us refine the platform, add any additional features that are needed and resolve any problems. The second stage will involve all forum members who are interested in giving further feedback on the changes that we have made.

Ben and I are keen for users to recommend how we can make the forums easier to use and improve the user’s experience of the platform. If the suggestions we receive are sensible, reasonable and feasible then we will endeavour to implement them on the new forum.

We also think it would be beneficial for us to have a Q & A with forum members about the forthcoming changes. If users have any concerns, queries or would like to find out more information about the redesign then please can you submit your comments and questions on the Community Help thread that I have started here.

Please keep an eye on the Community Help forum which is where I will post updates on the changes.

I would also recommend that you save any information, advice, links or blogs that you would like to keep before the new forums are introduced next term.

I think that the changes will be a positive step to improve the forums and I look forward to working with you all to try and achieve this together.

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

4. TES_Rosaline

Hi Jude,

Thank you for the links. I hope others will think that the forthcoming changes will be something to sing about.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Given your previous 'upgrades' I don't think we shall be holding our breath!

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Will it work with IE?

7. TES_Rosaline

Hi Racroesus,

Thank you for your question. Please don't forget that all questions should be posted here.

8. Oh dear! I have a distinct feeling that we have a frustrating few months ahead!

Good luck to the "chosen" who will be "testing"! Be nice!

BH

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What utter tripe! Have you even been there 'over the years'?

11. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Sounds like a great plan. And also like a huge task, good luck. The teaching community who use these forums get subjected to a lot of change, sometimes needed, sometimes seemingly just for the hell of it. Consequently tolerance for change can be weakened, but don't worry, this also means they've had a lot of practice coping with change and they're good at it.

Hopefully the new forums will be a simpler sleeker place, easier for new users to navigate, yet still familiar enough that is old users can find our way around.

Good luck!

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That will be all of them then.

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

"I would also recommend that you save any information, advice, links or blogs that you would like to keep before the new forums are introduced next term."

Anyone? How would one do this? Thinking about my Elderly people thread with lashings of advice from so may people.

14. I did ask a question about groups but read on the other forum that groups will be done away with. I think that's a real shame.

15. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

So when did adults go by what happens "next term"? Except the House of Commons which gets more leave than even teachers? Rapp on your fingers for those suspended in disbelief.