1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forum issues - You require improvement

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Captain Obvious, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Dear TES,

Here is a list of technical things you need to fix:

• Log-in time out is unnecessary
    • You have too many forums for not enough activity - consider mergers
    • A 'Go to last post' button would make life a lot easier
    • Make "Use Rich Formatting" say something sensible for normal people
    • A usable experience on iOS devices. Getting logged in on iOS Chrome relies more on luck than anything else.

You've clearly paid some web designers for some high-minded forum ideal. And it doesn't work. It's a classic case of trying to do your own thing and getting it wrong. Corporate-run forums seem to fall into the trap of bells and whistles and forgetting functionality. Your users want that functionality and keep on asking for it. You aren't giving it and you're losing people. You didn't consult your users when you upgraded - they're the ones who make a forum work. This is a software developer's forum made for software developers, bad ones at that.

You wanted fanfare and you got a farce. If you had involved users from early on instead of wanting some red carpet surprise reveal, this place wouldn't be in the state it is in now.

Also, there is the matter of moderation. I've been a moderator on websites for many years and the way your moderators act is not good enough. Moderators rarely seem to be part of the community, so don't really interact with users in such a way that the users understand what the boundaries are. Your moderators need to be able to step in to keep people honest so that a thread doesn't degenerate (and has to be locked).

They also don't communicate with us. If you find that a post doesn't fit the rules of the forum, by all means delete it. But then you need to tell the poster what they have done wrong. I had a post deleted recently and I don't know why - While on the topic of Israel, I did attempt to touch on the actions of both sides of that conflict. It was nothing particularly controversial. If there are boundaries, we have to know what they are.

You have to do better.

Will you?

2. And you might want to ensure the forums are properly compatible with IE and iOS. I know they're minority browsers but some people do use them.

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

And another thing, it's still very difficult to get to forums such as Workplace Dilemmas. That should have been incorporated into the menu at the very start.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Please change the scripting to account for the fact the posts often have a few seconds between them . . . . posts posted within the same minute as each other, are usually out of sequence and this can lead to much confusion when reading and responding to a sequential dialogue. Also, the quote function can not 'deal' with correct sequencing of multiple quoting within one post. How hard can it be to change the scripting to allow for cursor placement within a post?

5. tidal

tidal New commenter

this predominantly an IE problem *though other browsers can struggle.

If you can get it to work for firefox how hard is it to get it to work with other software?