1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forty years of personal computing and they invent a machine that does your handwriting for you.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, May 18, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

3. Duke of York

Does it say whether it can write love letters in the sand?

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As predicted in Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation Trilogy' way back in 1951.

:D

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I find with age and the march of technology, that my hand does not seem to remember how to write properly. But a machine like this is still pointless.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I was reminded of how fast old technologies are disappearing by a piece on R4 last week, in which it was revealed that numerous 6th form students cannot tell the time from a clock or watch these days - they rely on digital phones.

7. Duke of York

That's pretty common, @Ivartheboneless. The idiocy of this machine is that it can only replicate how poor your handwriting is now.

Age also brings an appreciation that writing letters to the Times or to the council is a pointless pastime anyway.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

An enterprising kid could use it to write 'thank you' letters to elderly relatives on behalf of their mates after Christmas. Just sample the mates' writing, get a list of relative names and presents, and charge the appropriate rate per letter.

Assuming kids still write 'thank you' letters these days.

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Who will be the first person to use one to forge the signature on a bank loan or credit card application?

I have a clients whose husbands (or now ex-husbands) have forged their signatures on bank documents, credit card documents, re-mortgage documents etc. A machine that can copy handwriting will making proving fraud that much more difficult.

10. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

A lot of kids don’t know what ‘thank you’ means (or ‘please’).

11. Duke of York

On the plus side, you won't get ripped off every time it runs out of ink like you do with printer cartriges.