1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fortnightly lessons?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Lespaul101, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I’ve recently taken on siblings for a weekly double lesson(one hour each) . The parent has now informed me that they can only do lessons every two weeks. I’m not sure this will work for me as it means I will have two sessions once a week that I can’t fill. Does anyone else do fortnightly lessons? Is there much call for it?

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

It's bad enough when it's one hour a week, but 2 really wouldn't be on. You are down an hour every week. Offer them (if you must) one hour a week, alternating siblings, otherwise it won't work as you can't fill two hours every other week.

alsoamum likes this.
  4. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I'd do as Phatsals suggests. But make sure you're covered for any travel or discount you may have offered for them being on the same day at first.

Parents that do this make me really annoyed. I always suspect they've planned if from the start and think you won't say no now they've started.

My fortnightlies are all on one day a week now and it's the last year I'm offering it. Too much hassle and most if them really lack commitment, so don't make progress.

phatsals likes this.
  5. suzette

suzette New commenter

I've just taken on a fortnightly person. But it's a student I tutored through their GCSE English Lit/Lang. They're doing a re-sit of their English Lang in November, so I know it's not a long time to do it for. I will however be telling them that weekly is best and they need to pitch up with a high quality of homework. (This student was a bit lazy with regards to homework). I KNOW!! I SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN HIM ON!! But their parents were desperate, as he needs a higher grade for his college course. Wish me luck that it goes ok!!

6. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

Thanks for replies. Parent has said their work pattern has changed so they can only make it every other week, I said I would see how it goes as I might no be able to fill in the alternate weeks.

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Maybe agree to it while you have the space on the understanding that when you get more requests they either do weekly or you let the space go