1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forrest Gump question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I haven't read the book so if anyone has, does it give any hint as to whether Forrest and little Forrest are infection-free? One presumes from the film that the infection Jenny dies from is AIDS. I wondered if she'd passed it to her husband and son.

2. I always thought the reason he was sitting on the bench remembering his life was because he was dying.

3. Sitting on the bench talking to those people in Savannah before he knew he was a father, or sitting by the bus stop at the end having seen Little Forrest off to school? I thought he was looking so miz because he was all alone again.

4. I didn't get that film.

5. I mean it didn't grab me.

6. Given Holllywood's penchant for sequels, I guess the lack of "Forrest Gump II: The Bush Years" intimates that they both snuffed it. or maybe George Dubbya is Forrest, but without the courage to actually go and fight in a war, or the co-ordination to play table tennis, or the guts to run all over the USofA. So, actually, no, Dubbya is far less appealling than Forrest.

cyolba, typing utter bollocks :)

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I have sat on that very bench [​IMG]

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Medically, both Hepatitis B and C are valid hypotheses.

9. I suppose so but given its predilection for contemporary ishooz and her drug abuse/free-sex lifestyle, I can't believe they didn't go for AIDS. Perhaps I should just read the book.
    So has anyone read it? Loads of films end differently from the book they were (loosely) based on.

10. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I've always assumed that it was AIDs that she died from too. I didn't read anything more into the ending of the film beyond, "He sends his son off to school on the same bus, with the same driver that he had on his (Forrest's) first day of school, thus the circle of life continues..."
    The film, however, takes WILD liberties with the plot of the novel. Characters and omitted, changed and some even die when they don't in the book. It's completely different.
    I love both, though. And Tom Hanks is amazing as Forrest.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

D'you not mean buttery ollocks?

12. No, I meant otter bullocks, which is always a strange pairing at the animal ball

cyolba, failing in his surrealist stance :)

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oh, I love them, they are soooo cute, though strangely sleek in the water whilst maintaining a level of horniness. Humf. Animal life is so exciting isn't it?

14. Oh no!!! I never saw it like that :(
    I liked the film, I didn't think it would be my cup of tea but I enjoyed it.

15. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

This is my absolute favourite film of all time.

Haven't read the book and hadn't really considered that Forrest would have AIDs as well. She could have contracted it after Forrest.

16. One of those films I have never seen

Doesn't appeal from the bits I have seen

17. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I had always thought that but then a few years ago my boyfriend made me watch it. Completely changed my opinion of it and have loved it ever since.

18. I like Tom Hanks ... many great films ... but ... nah tbh

19. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I figured she died of Hep A/B/C/D/E after her years spent jacking needles into her arms. I like to believe that big and little Forrest live on.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

According to my daughter, who is a Forrest Gump officiando (book and film), neither Forrest or the child are likely to have whatever virus it was (she reckons HIV) because the child was already too old and too healthy. She's just completed her Access to Nursing course and considers herself to be an expert in such matters (and she googled the statistical likelihood of contracting various Heps and HIV pre-birth and survival rate at that time).