1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forms vs Switchboards in Access

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by robot1, Jan 20, 2012.

1. robot1

robot1 New commenter

Hi
    My students have developed their Access database for the OCR Nationals Database unit (unit 7).
    AO5 requires them to create a user interface. I think getting the students to design and create their own forms and sub forms is the way to go. But most of my colleagues think that using the switchboard tool is better. But I just can't see it. Am I missing something? I find the forms they create are much better looking than the generic type of forms Access creates when using a switchboard.

2. robot1

robot1 New commenter

Hi
    My students have developed their Access database for the OCR Nationals Database unit (unit 7).
    AO5 requires them to create a user interface. I think getting the students to design and create their own forms and sub forms is the way to go. But most of my colleagues think that using the switchboard tool is better. But I just can't see it. Am I missing something? I find the forms they create are much better looking than the generic type of forms Access creates when using a switchboard.

3. A switchboard is a form, albeit a very specific example.

Personally I would use forms for data entry and a switchboard for navigation (as opposed to the default Access navigation tool which allows for far too many opportunities for an inept office assistant to break the whole thing). This allows you to prevent untrained users with a simple GUI for getting to the forms and reports, while leaving the tables and queries well alone.

I don't teach Nats personally, but that's always the approach I've taken.

==============================

Edit: Reading your original post again I'm thinking maybe you knew all that and you're talking about making switchboards using the wizards or doing it from scratch manually. The former seems quicker and simpler and you can still edit the form objects that the wizard creates in terms of colour scheme, house style, layout...

4. <font size="4">Hello,</font><font size="4">I am not a teacher, but I have been using Access for roughly ten years. I agree that having your students design and develop their own forms and subforms is the way to go. I think creating their own gives them an opportunity to be creative. The level of challenge depends on how much they want to challenge themselves. </font>

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I would always teach them to do it the way I'd do it myself, and I wouldn't dream of doing anything other than creating the "menu" form myself from scratch. I wouldn't even use the term "switchboard" - I've never heard it anywhere else (other than in relation to telephones).

What would using the wizard teach them? How to press a button? Creating the form themselves would help them to master their form skills, consider layout, button size, order, and maybe properties such as tab order.