1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Former HT passes away - memorial ideas?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by thejudgesscoresarein, Sep 28, 2019.

1. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I was informed today that the Headteacher that I replaced back in 1997 when they retired has passed away. Sad news, and I worked with them for 4 years when I was appointed as Deputy Headteacher at the school back in 1993. They joined the school back in 1968 and retired in 1997 after 29 years at the school at the age of 65.
    Obviously, most of the staff who worked with him have since moved on in their careers or retired so not many staff worked with them- however, following their length of service and commitment to the school, I think it’s only right we (as a school) have a memorial in place within the school. Has anyone done this before for a member of staff or pupil that has passed away? What did you do? Thanks.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I don't think it is necessary. They was there nearly a quarter of a century ago. A lot of staff from that time might have passed away now, some might have been there similar lengths of time or longer. Are you going to set up a memorial for every one of them?

If its something you are really set on, then a simply plaque, or a tree , or bench or a memorial bird feeder?

we've done all of these at different times, but normally only for someone who dies in post.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If it's an area where people don't tend to move away, they were probably head for most of the parents and some of the grandparents, in which case some acknowledgement in the school newsletter might be appropriate. Not sure a memorial makes sense, though - there's no relevance to the pupils.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I've worked at a school where a child died from cancer and a teacher was killed in an accident. A tree was planted in the school grounds on each occasion with little plaque by the side.

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

This headteacher meant a lot to you and no doubt gave great service in their time. Are they remembered by the community? I like the idea of something appreciative in the newsletter then maybe something like a memorial bench or sports trophy. I wouldn’t go bigger than that. Time moves on and the pupils don’t know who this was.

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

how about an award in their name - was there a particular aspect/interest they had.... "the Joe Bloggs award for commitment to community" etc

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Thanks all for your responses - it wouldn’t be a ‘big’ thing if you like- I was planning an acknowledgment in the school newsletter, as parents of children in the school now would of known him from their time at the school- so I’m also thinking about planting a tree too. The award idea is a good thing, that I’m definitely considering also!