1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Format for Video Captured From Screen?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Jun 16, 2011.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Do any of you capture video from the screen for use on a web-site? If so, in what format do you save your output?
    I've made some intructional/revision videos for students - how to do various things in Office and Open Office, basically - using CamStudio. As these are on a web-site, I'm looking for the best sharpness:size ratio.
    I've tried pretty much all of the options in Any Video Converter and ended up with low frame rate MP4 as the only way of getting sensibly-sized videos that are still sharp enough to read. Unfortunately, this seems to cause problems for a lot of students as they haven't got the relevant codec installed at home, and they don't always play even if QuickTime is installed. Now I'm also thinking of giving our site an HTML5 overhaul, and MP4 isn't universally supported by browsers that support the <video> tag.
    Has anyone got any good suggests for format and/or conversion software - including bit-rates, frame-rates and the like?

2. Handbrake for the conversion, Videolan for the playback.

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

Thanks.
    We can't really control playback, as it's being done at home, but we could suggest something.
    Handbrake was worth a look. It seems that, for HTML5 support, you need both MP4 and Theora to cover all browsers. Unfortunately, though, Firefox and Opera don't like the Theora output of Handbrake - presumably because it's in an .mkv container rather than .ogv.
    I'm just trying Miro, but it doesn't seem to have any settings, so I doubt it'll be any good.
    Any other suggestions for flexible Ogg Theora converters are welcome!

4. If you're trying to do HTML video you probably want
    http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/
    and use webM (theora is old in the free codecs) or h.264 (mp4 container).

FF4/Chrome/Opera/IE9 with codec download support webM
    Safari is a hold out to h.264 only.

For the moment I'd probably be using flash as said earlier...

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

Thanks all. I'd forgotten about WebM for some reason, so I'll give that a go.
    I ended up using Handbrake for MP4 and a command-line utility (with lots of options) called ffmpeg2theora to create the Theora (for some reason, the Miro Theora output didn't work in Opera and Firefox) and the HTML5 page works in current and previous versions of all browswers except IE8.
    Surprisingly, more visitors to the site use IE9 than IE8, so I can live with that - IE8 users will just have to live with links to the files.