1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Formally asked by work how long I intend to take for maternity

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by sugarhoneyicedtea, May 31, 2011.

1. <font size="2">Hi all,</font><font size="2">I recently gave my head the standard notification letter (from the NUT WEBSITE) regarding my pregnancy. On the last day of term I was given a form to fill in asking if I intended to take the full 52 weeks or 26 weeks.</font><font size="2">I was under the impression that I didn&rsquo;t have to decide now (I&rsquo;m 21 weeks pregnant).</font><font size="2">From my understanding (after reading the maternity matters document), I believed it was assumed I would be taking my full entitlement, but needed to give at least 21 days notice if I wanted to return earlier? Is this correct?</font><font size="2">So my question is-should I fill in this form? Am I bound to it? Can I refuse it fill it in? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? etc.</font><font size="2">Thanks for any responses! </font>

2. I would give the regional office a quick call. I have found them to be really helpful and will reassure you on best course of action. For me, trying to find things out for myself (googling etc) only gets me stressed and worried!

3. Hi Sugarhoney,
    My understanding is also that they presume you are taking the full entitlement but if you want to come back any earlier I thought you had to give 8 weeks notice. So, no, I don't think they should be asking you and I would send an email/speak to them to say what your understanding of the situation is. I would not fill out a form as once you have done this it may be somewhat binding. And no, you are not making a mountain out of a molehill.
    To be on the safeside I would double check either on the directgov website or union website. Failing that give the NUT a call.
    Good luck, and don't worry as I think they are probably just hoping you don't know too much about the procedures involved and just trying it on a little!

4. Ha ha I didn't even know that you used the word 'binding' MissI... I just worded it like that. Well that's interesting what you said about 8 weeks. I think I like my one better only having to give 21 days notice ;-) To be honest 21 days doesn't seem very long for the cover to make other plans and 8 weeks does make more sense.
    Hope you manage to get it sorted x

5. I too have to give 21 days notice. Perhaps you can contact the HR department at your LA to ask about the letter you received?

6. <h2>Do teachers need to give 8 weeks, 28 days or 21 days notice of return to work following maternity?</h2>Under the Work and Families Act 2006 the statutory notice period for early return from leave was extended from 28 days to 8 weeks. Under the Burgundy Book however a teacher only has to give 21 days' notice (see paragraph 7.1of Section 5). This contractual entitlement over-rides the statutory requirement to give 8 weeks' notice.
    Found the above on the Local Governement Employers' Website. Hope it helps - there are lots of other FAQs on there too.
    http://www.lge.gov.uk/lge/core/page.do?pageId=119317#contents-14

7. If that is the case then I don't know why the May 2011 guidance on the NUT website says 8 weeks! Someone needs to let them know.

8. <font size="2">Hi all. Thanks for your replies.</font><font size="2">I spoke to NUT recently and they said that although the minimum notice you should give is 21 days, as a 'gesture of goodwill' women should attempt to give 8 weeks&rsquo; notice. </font><font size="2"></font><font size="2">Either way, state in the letter you send that you are aware of that the expectation is 21 days. </font>(Hope this makes sense-writing in a real rush!)

9. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

I agree with all of the above in terms of the 21 days notice, and certainly nothing given before you are even on maternity leave can be at all "binding".
    However...I know it can help enormously to have a rough idea when someone is likely to return. I speak as both someone who was on mat leave last year, and someone who line manages others. I don't ask anyone to fill in a form, but I do say that is people have a rough idea of their return date, that it can be really useful for us.
    Circumstances / emotions etc. etc. can all change so nothing I am told informally could or should be used to hold a teacher to something, but it has given me an idea (and also a supply replacement an idea) of what to expect.
    If you have a good working relationship with your line manager / Head etc. you may wish to give an indication that <u>at the moment</u> you anticipate returning in XXX, but that of course you don't know, and it may very well change.
    Good luck either way.