1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Formal Observations

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Jkl2107, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Jkl2107

Jkl2107 New commenter

Hi all,

I was wondering what the general view is on the following:

I am on a SD non salaried course in MFL and am currently on my second placement.

In my first placement I was having a formal observation once a week with which I had to submit a formal lesson plan - fine.

In my second placement I am having a formal observation every lesson therefore I am required to do a formal lesson plan for every lesson (bear in mind I'm on more hours this term).

I don't wish to sound all woe betide me as I appreciate how hard any teacher works however on top of PGCE assignments, QTS assignments, lesson evaluations, feedback, lesson planning as it is etc. its starting to create a bit of stress.

I would be interested to hear honest opinions on this?

2. pgcetrainee1

pgcetrainee1 New commenter

How many hours a week are you teaching?

In my first placement I was on 8-10 (more usually 10) and still had to prepare and send a lesson plan before every lesson. Most other trainees had the same.

However I have been told they are only compulsory for formal observations, but it's all down to the school and what they prefer.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Firstly, if your SD PGCE is through a uni you should have a chat with your uni mentor and see what they say. If they deem it unacceptable they can throw their weight around.

Secondly, you will end up not having the host teacher in every lesson with you, so perhaps this situation is not going to last for the entire placement - ask you school mentor what they envisage will happen with with host teachers. At my second placement they couldn't wait to leave me on my own!

4. chloef23

chloef23 New commenter

My provider have asked for a minimum of 2 lesson observations per week - every lesson sounds like massive overkill! It doesn't help with your current situation, but I can't envisage it continuing throughout your second placement as it seems very unusual when compared to the experiences of trainees (both SCITT and School Direct) on my course.

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

You need to talk to your uni tutor about this and find out what the expectations are. As an SD mentor, I would never formally observe my student every lesson and I'd be surprised if any SD courses had made this a requirement. To get this sorted, talk to someone at the university asap.